DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM
 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:20 pm
Posts: 1214
Location: Vermont, USA
That MHR does look nicely set up. Are those Astralite wheels 17's?
Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 pm
Posts: 59
Hi Mike,
My home is Down Under but Im based in China at the moment. The building is Michaels Motorcycles in the US where I purchased the bike over eBay in April last year. The bike came from Texas (plates), if you know any of its history I would be very interested.
I like the MHR you posted, got me thinking again...what bike should I put all the goodies I bought for the F1 (17 Technos / M1R / 300mm discs / 4 pot calipers)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:20 pm
Posts: 1214
Location: Vermont, USA
Those sound like good TT parts. Was Michaels in St. Louis?
Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 pm
Posts: 59
pantah_good wrote:
Those sound like good TT parts. Was Michaels in St. Louis?
Bill


Yes thats the place, they sell a lot of classic bikes.

yes the parts are to convert my F1 into more of a TT style a bit like the loudbike but mainly Sunday hills runs and track days maybe a BEARS race, I have an alloy swingarm as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 pm
Posts: 59
This is what I thought it would look like putting the oscams on the MHR. I would paint the rims the Campo Gold Colour instead of Red. I have now secured a front 18" rim off a cagiva so we have a set!


Attachments:
dukeproject.jpg
dukeproject.jpg [ 100.65 KiB | Viewed 1177 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:20 pm
Posts: 1214
Location: Vermont, USA
Hi Ozzy,
I'll throw out for you a few experiences from my 1980 900ss 10 year so far "make it enjoyable to ride" project. Early on, Bruce Meyers (BCM) went thru and set up the stock forks. We used Gold Valves, but Bruce did some of his magic on them. On the rear I mounted good 13" YSS shocks. At that point the suspension was fine, maybe just not great. A little later I adapted a light weight set of 18" x 2.5" and 3.5" Marvic 3-spoke Pantah mag. wheels with the F1 style 280 rotors all around. This dropped the un-sprung weight considerably, and there was a very noticeable improvement in the suspension. Much more pleasant to ride, and I think those are the ideal size wheels/tires for a big ol' bevel. After a season or so, I became more and more concerned about the safety of those old mag wheels getting beat up by the crappy northern New England pavement here, and put the stock (heavy) cast wheels back on. For my bike, a good compromise solution will be to build a set of 6-rotor bolt hub wire wheels, which I love anyway. The 916 style brake calipers (with Ferodo Platinum pads) and master cylinder is a big improvement in braking feel and modulation. Just have to remember that there is enough stopping power with that set up to easily overcome the available traction of a bias 18" front tire. So, I found that properly set up Marzocchi forks work just fine on these bikes when combined with light weight wheels. I think you will enjoy your bevel project. They're a ride like nothing else, and you'll never lack for something to do.
Bill


Attachments:
Spring_08 018.jpg
Spring_08 018.jpg [ 3.45 MiB | Viewed 1154 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 pm
Posts: 59
pantah_good wrote:
Hi Ozzy,
I'll throw out for you a few experiences from my 1980 900ss 10 year so far "make it enjoyable to ride" project. Early on, Bruce Meyers (BCM) went thru and set up the stock forks. We used Gold Valves, but Bruce did some of his magic on them. On the rear I mounted good 13" YSS shocks. At that point the suspension was fine, maybe just not great. A little later I adapted a light weight set of 18" x 2.5" and 3.5" Marvic 3-spoke Pantah mag. wheels with the F1 style 280 rotors all around. This dropped the un-sprung weight considerably, and there was a very noticeable improvement in the suspension. Much more pleasant to ride, and I think those are the ideal size wheels/tires for a big ol' bevel. After a season or so, I became more and more concerned about the safety of those old mag wheels getting beat up by the crappy northern New England pavement here, and put the stock (heavy) cast wheels back on. For my bike, a good compromise solution will be to build a set of 6-rotor bolt hub wire wheels, which I love anyway. The 916 style brake calipers (with Ferodo Platinum pads) and master cylinder is a big improvement in braking feel and modulation. Just have to remember that there is enough stopping power with that set up to easily overcome the available traction of a bias 18" front tire. So, I found that properly set up Marzocchi forks work just fine on these bikes when combined with light weight wheels. I think you will enjoy your bevel project. They're a ride like nothing else, and you'll never lack for something to do.
Bill


Thanks Bill, brilliant to read your story appreciate that. I love those black SS beautiful bike, the wheels look great. I like spoke rims as well but I guess its an SS look rather than a MHR. I agree about unsprung weight, I put a set of carbon rims on my 1098 and it made such a difference it made it feel like a smaller bike.

There are some NCR Rear Shocks on eBay at the moment that have been rebuilt, it looks like the reserve is high I am at over $500 and still not on the money, which would get me a new set of YSS items. Do you think the NCR's would be worth pursuing, very period trick items, but in the scheme of things the YSS may work better for less.

My forks have the front facing calipers, so I was thinking about the NOS M1R 41.7mm set I have for the F1 and maybe they could work on the Hailwood allowing rear facing calipers with 40mm set up. All I need is some seals for the Forcellis and I could rebuild them for the F1 and use 65-40mm converters.

Wheels??? worried about my boat anchors (Oscams)now as they only take me from 2.5 to 3 on the back so get a bit of widsth but maybe add some unwanted weight, need to search for a 18" lighter weight options in the 2.5 & 3.5 sizes, still got your Marvics?. Haha :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:20 pm
Posts: 1214
Location: Vermont, USA
All I did was switch the fork legs side to side, a fairly common practice in the day. Don't know about the NCR shocks. Sorry, the Marvics have been traded to Bruce.
Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:14 pm
Posts: 59
pantah_good wrote:
All I did was switch the fork legs side to side, a fairly common practice in the day. Don't know about the NCR shocks. Sorry, the Marvics have been traded to Bruce.
Bill


Why didnt I think of that, ok sounds like a good place to start with the stock front swapped over and rebuilt and some YSS shocks at the back, thanks again Bill.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL