DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aussie TT2 track bike build
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 am 

Nice work Steve,
Are you in Melbourne? I'm based in the Latrobe Valley, we'll have to catch up sometime and compare notes on the bikes we're building up.
Your bikes looking good though.

Lee.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:54 am 

Hi Lee,
yes we can do that. I am in Melbourne and with the DOCV. We can catch up at FOIM in Carlton this November. I'll polish up the Pantah for that!
Thanks for your encouragement Lee, however you have the best bling for your bike as is! I'm waiting on Glyn re-locating to NZed to enquire about his rims & front forks too!
It's fun working on these things, only with other commitments, there's not much time to work on the machines. There have been very few full day's work on it though.
Are you going to use yours for track days only? Philip Island perhaps? Broadford would suit it better. Small bike with short straights and lot's of corners...= fun!

Very soon, we'll be ready for the painters...
Then the engine gets a rebuild....

More on that later.
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 pm 

Yes, Mate, I know what you mean about, Time.... :cry:
My bike hopefully will be used for Club racing (Hartwell Club) and maybe the Island Classic as well. I'm trying to keep racing as I get older and still spend time with my family, the whole "balance" thing. :)

Yes, whenever we get to meet up would be cool FOIM sounds great!!

Ciao,

Lee.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:59 pm 

Hi Steve
The worst job on my bikes has been drilling the oil cooler holes in the fairing. I have a template and drill a pilot hole first then use a wood drill to size it. That works great and does not tear the glass at all.I have done 3 fairings now and I will not do anymore as the last one stuffed my shoulder for 4 months. RSI i was told.
Bike is looking great
Jon

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:25 pm 

Pantah600 wrote:
:shock: Well folks,
been very busy waiting on things to be started & finished... but, I have been busy.

I used an old Giannelli pipe I had set aside for this project. I could have purchased Steve's magnificent works of art, however, I have to do this on a budget. So, it's recycle item time.
I attempted to weld it myself but thought the better of it. I'm amazed I shaped it well enough to fit. I cut down the internal spring loaded baffle and sliced off the end cone to resemble a replica pipe. In order to fit the baffle, I had the end cone seam welded to fit the offcut in reverse to clamp the baffle under spring preload. Now, I need to 'ding' it to clear the shifter pedal.
Pipe1
Attachment:
Exhaust3.jpg

Pipe2
Attachment:
Exhaust2.jpg

Then came the exciting part of drilling the oil cooler holes in the glass without smashing the glass. I used a profile cut template and did my best. It's a little off center but, that's another story....
Oil holes
Attachment:
Oil cooler5.jpg

Very soon, it'll be time to paint.
So, get ready everybody, I'll be asking heaps of questions.....

Cheers,
Steve

Hello Steve, I did not understand if you be able to shift gears in the gearbox. I see that the muffler hinders the right move. I had sent you a straight platform, and a platform crooked?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:21 pm 

corsa wrote:
My bike hopefully will be used for Club racing (Hartwell Club) and maybe the Island Classic as well. I'm trying to keep racing as I get older and still spend time with my family, the whole "balance" thing. :)

Ciao,

Lee.

Lock it in Lee!

agshark wrote:
Hi Steve
The worst job on my bikes has been drilling the oil cooler holes in the fairing. I have a template and drill a pilot hole first then use a wood drill to size it. That works great and does not tear the glass at all.I have done 3 fairings now and I will not do anymore as the last one stuffed my shoulder for 4 months. RSI i was told.
Bike is looking great
Jon

Thanks Jon,
RSI is no laughing matter! That is some serious work involved drilling that number of holes! I used an aluminium template that I may end up glassing in if & when the glass finally let's go. Understand you there!

Caro Carlo,

I understand you and you are correct! The muffler is very close to the lever. I have used the "crooked" lever as the gear changer. It is because the Giannelli e piu grosso della marmite normale. Chi viole un martello grande, un puo di vino e tua presenza! When are you coming?

Salute!
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:09 pm 

Pantah600 wrote:
corsa wrote:

Ciao,

Lee.

Lock it in Lee!

agshark wrote:
Hi Steve
Bike is looking great
Jon

Thanks Jon,
RSI is no laughing matter! That is some serious work involved drilling that number of holes! I used an aluminium template that I may end up glassing in if & when the glass finally let's go. Understand you there!

Caro Carlo,

I understand you and you are correct! The muffler is very close to the lever. I have used the "crooked" lever as the gear changer. It is because the Giannelli e piu grosso della marmite normale. Chi viole un martello grande, un puo di vino e tua presenza! When are you coming?

Salute!
Steve

I am sure that you know how to use the hammer, very good! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:33 am 

:twisted: Si Carlo, a hammer has been used!

Now, kind people, we have entered Phase 2 of the build. The bike is now dismantled and the re-build of the Pantah 600 engine, Marzocchi 35mm front forks & Brembo F05 front brake calipers are next on the agenda whilst the frame, swingarm & bodywork are off to the painter.

So, now come the questions piece by piece....

Firstly: Engine related-:
Main bearings- The interweb mentions these as being a phenolic resin cage, angular contact at 15deg. RHS p/n 75143.3380 is 35x80x21 & LHS p/n 75142.3380 is 35x72x17. SKF specifies these similar bearings at 40degs. Are there suppliers out there that have the correct bearings?

Marzocchi 35mm front forks- What is the fit tolerance between the lower plug (0820.37.535) to the damper rod assembly? I have 1 fork leg that was so loose, the lower plug remained in the cartridge and proved to be very difficult to remove yet the rod assembly fell out after the bottom bolt was removed. This has caused me to look into Maxton Suspension GP20 replacement cartridges. Cost is prohibitive at this stage. Can I use loctite upon assembly?

Many more questions will come your way.

Thanks,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 am 

:shock: Well Gentlemen,
After an exhaustive search, I found some replacement main crankshaft bearings and compiling a list of the other engine and head bearings.
However, I thought the bearings in the head would be a cage type not a sealed type. Can anybody confirm that they are in fact sealed? I would have thought the cam bearings to be an open cage.... how odd.... I also believe they are C3 specs.

Can anybody inform me of the 35mm Marzocchi fork damper rod to be a loose fit to the lower plug?
Ohh, and I require new circlips since 1 was missing....

The little things that one finds in old things......

Keeping you informed...

Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:26 am 

:oops: Folks,
could anybody confirm the thread size for 35mm fork caps please? Is it M30 x 1.5 OR M30 x 1.25?
Please?

Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next