DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F1 Conrods
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:37 am 

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket titanium rod available for the F1 engine, and if so would you have any links?
I've just pulled my engine down (original 69,000 kms) for the first time & found it to be in absolute pristine condition, apart from a weld repair to the chain area around the primary sprocket. I would be interested in any suggestions in the way of improvements that could be included when I re-assemble it, but I dont want to deviate too much from original (it has to look original cosmetically). I thought light weight conrods would be a good starting point, along with a little porting & polishing of the heads.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: F1 Conrods
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 am 

Ducati used some titanium Pankl rods on some of the racers like the 4 valvers

Eldert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:34 pm 

Make life simple then, and get some Carillos for this application (size). The only size on the 748-851-916-996 Superbike rods that is common to the 500-750 rods is the big-end/small-end center-to-center length of 124mm. Then, once you change rods you need to think about balancing everthing. One things leads to another.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:48 pm 

+1 On the Carillos.They are the rods you only have to buy once! I had the set in my F1 reconditioned about 2yrs. ago,they had been raced on since 87 I think [I'm the 3rd owner] and I know they suffered through at least 2 major grenades. One was bent and a tiny but shorter than the other but the bike was still fast!
Carillo refurbished them for about $300 and they came back straight and looking like new! Ti is cool and light but they do have a limited service life and unless you are going for a championship your hard earned money will do more in other areas.