DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: forcella italia fork rebuild
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:35 pm 

Ozzy,
I'm sorry, but your post reminded me that I had forgotten to post that the set of seals I recently got from Stein-Dinse (Germany) were good. They are exactly like the originals, and have been installed in the "Garage Find" bikes forks during their rebuild. It will be a while before the bike gets ridden, but I'm comfortable that they are ok. The only catch with that order was that I put a quantity of (2) in, thinking I would get two pairs of seals, but only two individual seals arrived. I emailed back and forth twice suggesting that fork seals are normally priced in pairs and asked for them to double check the quantity sent, but was told that the price shown in their online description is for one (1) individual seal. (?!) That makes a pair rather expensive, especially with overseas shipping added in, but I would still recommend them over the Leak Proof seal fix. I didn't find out how many seals they have in stock, but their website says they are available. Again, I do apologize for not posting that feedback right away, I know those seals are an issue for a number of us.
Bill
http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Ducati/Fork/Fork-gasket-rings/Duc-Fork-seal-40mm-750-F1-with-dustcover::7363.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 am 

Thanks Bill,
Just placed the order there now. Its funny I reached out to them and placed an order more than 6 months ago with them and got nothing back, assuming they didnt have any. I think I even posted about the order at the time. I will monitor closely this time and look to ensure the order is padi and despatched, then problem solved, fingers crossed and thanks again

Best Regards

Craig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm 

Hi Craig,
I found their communication was pretty good about the order getting out and shipping info, but the order was hard to track as it went thru several postal services with DHL involved. They did finally show up at the post office though. Good luck with them.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:53 am 

Thanks Bill, you're right got 2 emails coonfirming order and DHL despatch. so all good

pantah_good wrote:
Hi Craig,
I found their communication was pretty good about the order getting out and shipping info, but the order was hard to track as it went thru several postal services with DHL involved. They did finally show up at the post office though. Good luck with them.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 pm 

Good to hear that we have another source for seals. Right after I take a razor blade to mine :lol:

That said, Bill's original seal fix is really pretty simple; it's actually easier to do than it is to describe. You just have to be careful slicing the dust seal off the original. I slipped a little and put a small slice into mine, but it's under the cup that holds the seal and along with some silicon, you can't see it. Still seems to be holding up and the forks are working good. Need some lighter fork oil though as they seem quite stiff.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:16 pm 

Hi Chris,
Do you think it's stiction or colder weather? Or, the Leak Proof instructions say those seals need a little bit of float (can't remember how much now) to work properly. If you're still riding it, maybe try loosening the black screw-on seal holders a little, and see if that helps. They may be binding up some. Those forks I fixed that way are gone now and I never got a chance to test how they behaved, so I am curious.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:10 pm 

I'll give that a try. It's not jarringly stiff or harsh, just firmer than I would like.

I just made sure the stack was the same height as the original and installed them. Do you remember how Leak Proof said to provide float? It'll have to wait for spring though as the FI is away for the winter.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm 

A change in firmness could could be from several things, do you know exactly how they were set up last time around, and did you do anything different other than the Leak Proof seals this time? Assuming the seals were the only difference, here's what the Leak Proof instruction paper says:

"NOTE: In order for the Leak Proof Seal to function properly it must have a minimum of .5mm (.020") float clearance (vertical space) between the seal/washer assembly and the snap ring. Insufficient "float" space can cause the for seals to bind against the stanchion tubes. Because Leak Proof Seals naturally float to the top of the cavity, 2-4mm space between the snap ring and the seal/washer assembly is not a problem."

I'm guessing that if your stack height was the same as the original seal, and the holder is screwed down tight, your seals aren't floating. By unscrewing the holders until you get a mm or so float, I'll bet they will free up. If they do, and since we all know how much fun it is to pull an F1's front end, I would leave it at that. I doubt the holders would move, but you could mark them to see if they do, or use a little duct tape to "safety" them until the next time you're in the mood to pull the forks.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:22 am 

Hay Bill Doesn’t that seal need to seal to the top of the fork leg shoulder with this separate cup design? By unloading the seal I’m thinking those legs will be externally lubricated….less sticktion but messy!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:13 pm 

Mr. Cranky,
In theory, I can't argue with what you say. But float is float, even if mounted in sliders that the Leak Proof seals were designed for. Remember that at the time, this was a "work around" experiment to try and deal with a total lack of o.e.m. seals. Unfortunately, my R&D was cut short at the critical moment, and then correct seals suddenly became available - at ONE shop in Europe. How long they may be available, we don't know. But what we do know is that worn out o.e.m. seals leak too much. This "work around" may leak less....maybe? Using Permatex liquid thread sealer on the seal holder's threads may reduce any leaking to an even more acceptable level. As long as we can get the o.e.m. type seals from Stein-Dinse (and they work..) this problem goes away. Except for Chris. He already has the Leak Proof seals installed. If that was my F1, over the winter I would get a pair of the Stein-Dinse seals for insurance. Then come spring, I would see if the Leak Proof seals could be made to work at an acceptable level, with a few easily done experiments. If they don't, then pull the forks (ouch!) and install the Stein-Dinse seals.
Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next