DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: forcella italia fork rebuild
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:43 am 

Mr. Pantah-goodie You miss my point. Go break out the parts book and follow along. When the fork seal is not shouldered on the lower leg and allowed to “float” the oil will be forced under that gap. The only thing keeping that oil from freedom are the threads of the cup which you say to loosen for “float”. Those threads were never meant to seal even when tightened. Think about the pressures generated with fork compression. I don’t argue your seal fix but don’t recommended the leakproof (floating style) seals for this application.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:37 pm 

Do I need to bring a baseball bat along next time I come down to mooch more parts off you?

I don't think I have been missing your points all along, but Leak Proof's do work - somehow. I've had good luck with them in different applications in the past. I'll assume they must have floated a little, by design, and if they floated they must have uncovered their bottom surface. And, if they floated, the fit on their o.d. must not have been too tight. I don't remember any particularly tight fits. Just by looking at them you can see they're designed differently than "regular" seals. Can you explain why their instructions specify they are supposed to float or how they work that way? Back when I started trying this fix, I called Leak Proof for tech info, but was only able to talk to one guy on a cell phone who seemed to be a one-man-show salesman/manager type. The engineering department may no longer exist, so no help there. The only explanation I can think of is that they are designed to expand some on compression stroke.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:09 pm 

I plan to order some of the Stein-Dinse seals and put them aside for a rainy day. I only had a leak on one side, so the other leg is still on the original seal. This spring I’ll give loosening the seal holder a shot, if only just to see what happens. If that doesn’t make a difference I’ll try lighter/less oil. I figure one of those two things should be the culprit.

To answer your earlier questions, Bill, I replaced one seal with a Leak Proof, as only one was leaking and I didn’t want to mess with something that didn’t need to be messed with. I also put new 10w oil in both legs at the quantity stated in the manual (I don’t recall off hand what that was). My F1 is in really good shape, but I’m pretty sure the fork oil (along with lubing the steering head bearings, swing arm pivot, etc.) had never been done by prior caretakers. So, I really have no idea what the previous set up was. Probably whatever it was when it left the factory.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll dig back into it this spring and report back with my findings.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:01 pm 

Next spring it is likely the other one will start leaking. Why would I think that? But I can't blame you, I used mine till the bitter end. MikeV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:04 pm 

Good luck with it Chris. It's pretty amazing what a difference getting the suspension "as it left the factory" squared away at both ends on them makes.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 pm 

618F1 wrote:
Next spring it is likely the other one will start leaking. Why would I think that? But I can't blame you, I used mine till the bitter end. MikeV

Until I knew there was a working fix, I wasn't going to mess with the (so far) oil tight seal!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:14 pm 

Well I think it's about time to rejuvinate this thread.
I ordered a pair of seals from Stein Dinse. They were like 30-something for the pair and the shipping doubled that so I got a spare Domino compression release lever too.
Got down and changed the seals (nice to have the real thing) and noticed that my tires were badly checked. Looked at my BSA and Bimota too and they were bad as well. I guess around 15 years is too much to expect for rubber devices. Luckily I was saving up for a new Beta so I had some money. Dug into that and ordered up three sets of tires.
As luck would have it, we're experiencing a pretty serious drought here in California and before I get all the tires changed it starts raining. Damn! That works better than washing the car!
Finally yesterday the rain let up and I took the F1 out for a short run between rain drops. The tires aren't scrubbed yet but I can tell the Avons handle much better than the old Metzelers and no oil on the brake pads. So cool.
On top of that the storm has passed and no rain is forecast through next weekend so I ought to be able to get all the tires scrubbed in. We still need a bunch more rain though.
Oh, I pulled back into my garage with exactly 20,000 on the odometer. That called for a photo.
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:29 am 

Rick,

Guess You made the right decision to get rid of the tires before they try to get rid of You.
Time to get another bike running, so searched the attic for some stuff and found a 40 mm Bimota Forcella Italia, HB2 endurance type with the clamps and the struts to fit a fork lift.
Then searched for the Forcella thread here and but found no real answer as to fixing : a) the missing oilseals and b) the missing guiding bushes in the forklegs.
So now the problem of the oilseals seems to be solved, and I can get me a set at Stein-Dinse.
But can someone give me the specs of the guide in the fork ?
I read that they are out of stock at Ducati, and since Bimota has been upsidedown for ages, they probably don't have them either.
tnx
ducadini

Last edited by ducadini on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:23 am 

Josef

what are the dimensions of the upper guiding bushings ?

i found a Jap bike that has 40 mm forks and bushings .

Eldert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 am 

ducadini,

the recent SHINKO tyres for 16 inch wheels are the best at the moment.

also are you talking about the forks that are my gilera in page 2?

if so I can check the parts manual or you can ask questions on the gilera forum...

(http://www.gileraclub.de/viewforum.php?f=3 )

cheers

Sean

Attachments:
P1020821.JPG
P1020821.JPG [ 5.27 MiB | Viewed 851 times ]
P1020766.JPG
P1020766.JPG [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 851 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next