DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VIR / AHRMA report
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:10 pm 

Now that my memory is fading, I’ll try and get a VIR AHRMA report in. The weather for Friday practice was beautiful. AHRMA had the south course and a track day was on the north course after the AMA had cancelled. Robbie was riding his 748/900 (entered in BOT F1 and S.O.T.) and my TT (bumped up to BOT F2 because F1& F3 run at the same time). The 748 was on used Dunlop slicks and the TT on used Michelin DOT’s for practice and we initially thought about dropping a tooth on the TT rear because of the long front straight, but as he got up to speed we left the Loudon gearing on, which was fine. Robbie got down into the 1:18's on the TT and 1:11's on the 748. Robbie was saying that course is more technical than it first looks. I could see everything but turn one, which was just over the hill near the end of the front straight, from the hot pit wall. At the end of the day we put new slicks on both bikes, in spite of the iffy forecast. Those Dunlop slicks seem to have stiff sidewalls, and it was very hard to get the tire iron in under the bead for the last lever-over. Those pretty new wheels are getting scratched. Racing patina I guess. Friday went well.

Saturday started wet, but with a mixed forecast. We decided to make the TT the designated rain bike, so I pulled the wheels and mounted up rains. At that point early in practice someone on a Norton oiled the track, apparently because he had a rag plugging a hole that blew out. I believe (hope) he was kicked out after he helped clean up. While clean up was going on, the track started to get dryer, so I pulled the rains, and put the DOT’s on, making the TT the designated dampness bike. F1 was race 3, and Robbie thought the last turn under the oak tree still looked damp, so he went out on the TT and placed third with times into the 1:17's. F2 was race 7 and Robbie placed second with times well into the low 1:17's (which were better than anyone in F3). Robbie thinks he remembers seeing a 1:16 posted on the time sheets. The TT still with the DOT’s. Sound of Thunder was race 10. Robbie on his 748 and Pat Mooney on a Buell pulled away with times in the low 1:10's and Pat leading most of the time. Robbie said he had a plan to pass Pat on the last lap, and was right there, but the flagger didn’t show the white flag to them for some reason, and next time around they got the checker with Robbie right there with Pat. Best race of the day for sure. I can’t remember if they got into the 1:09's that race or not, but they were hauling ass. So Saturday went well, as well. The forecast for Sunday looked like some rain, so we left the tires as they were.

Sunday started dry, but looking like rain showers were coming. They had a quick riders meeting and voted on having one quick round of practice and then starting the race schedule right away. Robbie won F1 (race 3) this time on the 748. I had warmed the TT, and it felt warm during race 6 so I didn’t warm it again before F2 (race 7). We always wait to the last second to pull the warmers off, and when Robbie pushed the start button there was nothing. Made some fast checks and still nothing, so we tried bumping it several times, but it wouldn’t catch. That one ended with a DNS. Figured out what it was after getting it home. SOT (race 10) was going to be good. Robbie and Pat picked up right where they left off, this time with Robbie leading. I think the second lap they did a 1:09. I could see Pat trying to out brake Robbie into turn one before they went out of sight, on maybe lap 3 or 4. Only Robbie came back into view, Pat having tucked the front. He is o.k., I think the bike got hurt some though. So, except for the DNS (and even that was good to find out), the weekend went very well, and was a ton of fun. The TT never fails to open a few eyes as to what they are capable of. Ok, I believe Barber is next. Can’t wait!

Bill

Post subject: Re: VIR / AHRMA report
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:26 pm 

Great description Bill. I could almost smell and hear the bikes! Barber will be fun. Thanks again for the report. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:34 pm 

Hi Bill,
Glad you guys had a good weekend. You didn't say why the TT didn't start on Sunday. ?
Good race report though, I really enjoyed it. Seems like your bike might be difficult to beat at Barber with
Robbie on it.
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:15 am 

I totally forgot to put some pictures in. I always drag my camera around, but almost always forget to actually use it, but managed to this time. We pitted next to a really good guy, Bill Deal, who won BOT F3 both days and is leading in points on his SV. My home pit crew, Bronco, Louise, and Loudon, seem satisfied that the bike got home in one piece.
Bill

Attachments:
VIR_8-14-11 002.jpg
VIR_8-14-11 002.jpg [ 159.82 KiB | Viewed 17804 times ]
VIR_8-14-11 003.jpg
VIR_8-14-11 003.jpg [ 171.52 KiB | Viewed 17804 times ]
VIR_8-14-11 004.jpg
VIR_8-14-11 004.jpg [ 179.64 KiB | Viewed 17804 times ]
VIR_8-14-11 006.jpg
VIR_8-14-11 006.jpg [ 154.63 KiB | Viewed 17804 times ]
VIR_8-14-11 012.jpg
VIR_8-14-11 012.jpg [ 205.72 KiB | Viewed 17804 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm 

Hey Bill Nice story and pics. That last pic is priceless. The “family” resemblance between you and that “Home Crew” is uncanny.
Your parking attendant -Cranky-

Profile Personal album