DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TT1 Verliccchi Swingarm for a F1
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:24 pm 

Hi,
I need some advice on using a Verlicchi TT1 replica swingarm onto a 750 F1 bike. This is what Steve has noted about the marriage of the two:
"TT and F1 SAs differ via the angle and height of the shock mount as the frames have different mounting point locations for the shock. While you could argue that a non-stock shock length would pick up the difference and allow use of a TT SA on an F1 and vice-versa, I think that the geometry and shock stroke could be different. Good question to pose on the board."

So anybody done it and have any advice on shock lengths and suitable donors, can it be done, I hope so cause I bought the swinger already, I coulodnt resist it was so shiny!
Attachment:
swingarm.jpg
swingarm.jpg [ 42.15 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]

Post subject: Re: TT1 Verliccchi Swingarm for a F1
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:26 pm 

BTW: I have an Ohlins shock sitting around in great condition off a Ducati ST4 and would like to use it if it was a fit, again if anyone has such knowledge would be great to know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 pm 

Hi ozzy990,
While I can't answer your question exactly, but I just changed from a stock steel F1 swingarm to an aluminum Verillichi swingarm I got from Loudbike Steve. Not sure if it was from a F1 Montjuich / Laguna Seca or from a TT, but it was new. But using the same White Power shock, it seems to me the seat and rear end are a little lower now on my bike. So now I suspect the stock shock absorber for the F1 Montjuich / Laguna Seca is slighly longer than on an F1-A, B or S. (My F1-S was an F1-B converted by Ducati North America for street use and homolagated for AMA Pro-Twins Modified Production class racing). Soon I'm going to try riding my bike and see if I can tell any difference in the handling, then decide if I need to get a longer shock. I just rebuilt the White Power one so I'd like to keep using it...

The angle of the shock looks the same. But I think you are correct in thinking the shock length is slightly different. Hope this helps.
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:40 am 

Thanks Rich,
I guess if Steve can tell us what swingarm is was he sold you, that might make it a bit clearer, I am assuming it is an F1 item, but interesting to note the lowering of the ride height you experienced, I would hope to go a little higher, but wil lhave to wait until I bolt it all together. Fingers crossed!

Anyone use a TT1 swingarm on the F1, please join in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:07 am 

Hi Ozzie,
I cannot be sure that the shiny swing-arm which you show is in reality a Verlicchi item. I have a Ducati Performance aluminium swing-arm - manufactured by Verlicchi which I will be using in my present Ducati TT2 Hyperlight project, and my swinger is quite a bit different from the one which you show. My item has Ducat part number 96609097C, intended as a replacement for arms used in the 400SS, 600SS and 750SS bikes, and has all the "Verlicchi" markings in the underside near the chain-adjustment area.
I hope that this helps, as there are so many swinging-arms lurking about in both steel and aluminium, soon no doubt to be joined by the carbon-fibre variety!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:01 pm 

Hi Ozzie,
I believe the Verlicchi swingarm I have is a NOS one for an F1 Montjuich, Ducati P/N 037740200. It does look a little different than yours but it is not for a TT. It is not shiny, it is more of a matt finish. The upper tubes are rectangular cross-section, not round. It is stamped "Verlicchi" on the upper side near the chain adjuster/rear axle hole. The jaws (chain adjuster plates) and cover are gold color not silver. Here is a picture for comparison to yours. But maybe it is not comparable since it is for an F1 not a TT.
Rich

Attachments:
100_1996.jpg
100_1996.jpg [ 983.02 KiB | Viewed 2202 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:10 am 

Thanks Guys.
The swingarm I got is a TT and has the round upper tubes which is typical of the TT2 & TT2 variety. Its a copy of a Verlicchi, so it will be different to both of yours.
I was just hoping someone else had used one. I have another second hand one for an F1 coming up soon, so I will try both.
Might have to buy my brothers 650 pantah and build a TT........... :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:23 pm 

At the risk of this being too basic, I’ll throw out what I did when I had to change swing arms on my TT, for what its worth. When I got the bike, it came with what I’m sure was an early (zero gussets) Verlicchi aluminum arm mounted up. I did replace the shock, but kept the same shock length, assuming the former owners had the bike reasonably sorted out. That set up worked. During the 2006 season that Robbie was going for the AHRMA BOT F3 championship, at Barber, I discovered that the TI sprocket bolts were working their way out. They had cut a nice .040"/.050" deep arc on the inside of the lefthand swing arm leg. After we got home, I had it welded, but it kept cracking. I borrowed a Sport swing arm from Bruce, and on those, the shock mount point is further to the rear, due to the rear cylinder facing the wrong way. So, to figure the difference in what the shock length needed to be, I measured with a tape measure the lengths between the important three points. The center of the swing arm pivot point hole, the center of the shock mount bolt hole, and the center of the axle hole (at full forward adjustment). The axle hole on the newer arm was further back, but that’s a good thing, since it puts the weight bias forward. Then I laid the dimensions out on my CAD system at work, to figure out the difference between the shock mounting holes. It could have been done with a crude homemade beam compass on a piece of newspaper, you just need to swing those three arcs to find the difference, just keeping the swing arm pivot points at the same point and the center of the axle holes on the same horizontal line that's thru the pivot points. The difference was 1.192", and I was able to get a 1" longer than stock rod end for the top of the shock, to keep the geometry close (if not better for weight bias), than the way it was. I then was able to get an even newer n.o.s. version of that Sport swing arm from Sean Kynnersley in the U.K. to replace Bruce’s. Measured that one up and the shock mount hole was .068" further to the rear, but was able to make up the difference with the threaded rod end adjustment. So, if you think you have a decent geometry as a starting point to work with, it’s pretty straightforward to figure a shock length for a different swing arm, and be in the right ballpark.
Bill