DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verlicchi 20mm into Ducati 28mm won't go........
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 am 

I guess this problem has been solved in a myriad of ways, but there must be some kinda Standard Solution to my problem.............which lies in my wish to marry an almost-shiny Verlicchi swinging-arm which has a 20mm pivot pin to a Pantah 600 engine, able (at the moment) to accept only the standard-issue Pantah-type 28mm swinging-arm pivot pin.
Naturally I accept that I'll need to split the cases and have a few spacers made-up, but I'm a trifle mystified as to how the the lubed-by-engine-oil Pantah set-up is reconciled with the later SS/Monster smaller-diameter-but-dry-running pin arrangement.

So help me guys! How do I DO it ???

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Verlicchi 20mm into Ducati 28mm won't go........
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:38 pm 

Poison,
The newer 20mm setup uses roller bearings and don't require engine oil lubrication. Origianally on the yellow bike when I first put it together I took the 28mm spindle and shortened it to just the engine cases and made bronze bushing to fit into it for the 20mm spindle. The setup worked pretty good and I didn't need to split the cases. If I was going to do it today, I would probably pull the stock bushing out of the cases and make inserts for roller bearings like the newer cases and also make an aluminum sleeve for inside the motor to keep the bearings dry, so yo won't have to worry about oil leaks and seals and just use grease on the roller bearings or make bronze bushings.
Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm 

So, what year did the engines go to a 20mm spindle? Are all 900 engine cases set up for 20mm?

Did the small blocks (600 + 750 5-spd ) stay 28mm longer?

Enquiring minds need to know. :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:09 pm 

Dukerdr,
The 750 Sport which I think was thru 1990 was the last 28mm. The Paso was had small pivots but I don't think they have bearings or bushings as it used the frame for the bearing plates and the bolt passes thru the motor. I beleive all 1991 and newer small case motors use 20mm pivots and have bearings installed in the cases.
Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:32 am 

Palmer wrote:
Poison,
The newer 20mm setup uses roller bearings and don't require engine oil lubrication..............If I was going to do it today, I would probably pull the stock bushing out of the cases and make inserts for roller bearings like the newer cases and also make an aluminum sleeve for inside the motor to keep the bearings dry.....................
Palmer

My thanks for your rapid response, Palmer! Do you have any part numbers for the roller bearings, and what (if anything) stops any axial movement of the swingarm pivot? Shims???

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Profile Personal album