DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motor build for "Yellow Bike III"
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:44 pm 

I forgot!!!! These bike is beautiful!!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:14 pm 

Carlo wrote:
Hello Steve, I beg to give my opinion about the worn tire in a bad way.

To my humble opinion, it may be that the spring is too reactive, that is too harsh, hydraulics not working, but I believe that the fault is the drive chain is too tight, for this cause the bike is not lowered behind, since the chain tension, so no sagging, does not create traction and bounces like a ball.

Ciao Steve!!! Carlo.

Thanks, Carlo. The bike is sprung for a much heavier rider than Palmer, but we don't think the shock is the issue either. I'm going to check the chain tension tonight - I think you may be right. We checked the tension before we went out, but not a closely as we should have. The bike has a lot of torque and would want to squat more than we might be used to.

Thanks,

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:15 am 

loudbike wrote:
Carlo wrote:
Hello Steve, I beg to give my opinion about the worn tire in a bad way.

To my humble opinion, it may be that the spring is too reactive, that is too harsh, hydraulics not working, but I believe that the fault is the drive chain is too tight, for this cause the bike is not lowered behind, since the chain tension, so no sagging, does not create traction and bounces like a ball.

Ciao Steve!!! Carlo.

Thanks, Carlo. The bike is sprung for a much heavier rider than Palmer, but we don't think the shock is the issue either. I'm going to check the chain tension tonight - I think you may be right. We checked the tension before we went out, but not a closely as we should have. The bike has a lot of torque and would want to squat more than we might be used to.

Thanks,

Hello Steve, if it were not for our friendship, I did not I would never suggest an observation at a distance of 5000km!

I saw the last picture, the one with the rider seated on the beautiful motorcycle, since you put the picture of very large I have enlarged on the particular chain of transmission, and I have found as far as possible, that the bike, although still, with the weight of the pilot, the chain tension, say the lower part of the chain, remains tense.

All this talk, I do it with so much respect and esteem for those who, like me, has done his work, his passion, and I can assure you, my friends, that motion as beautiful as those of Loud Bike, not seen at all street corners.

With so much friendship. Carlo Leoncini.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am 

Steve, the combo of you and Palmer are exceeding the work of some of the legendary Ducati builders! What a great way to start this one out. MikeV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:16 am 

loudbike wrote:
Carlo wrote:
I saw the last picture, the one with the rider seated on the beautiful motorcycle, since you put the picture of very large I have enlarged on the particular chain of transmission, and I have found as far as possible, that the bike, although still, with the weight of the pilot, the chain tension, say the lower part of the chain, remains tense.

All this talk, I do it with so much respect and esteem for those who, like me, has done his work, his passion, and I can assure you, my friends, that motion as beautiful as those of Loud Bike, not seen at all street corners.

You're right, Carlo - the picture certainly shows what's going on and a check of the tension last night showed that the shock was chain-bound; bouncing off the chain at 3/4 of its stroke. It's pretty embarrassing 'cause I know better. In fact, when I did the wheel alignment and set the sag, I strapped the rear of the bike down to pull the shock down to full compression and set the chain tight at that position.

Then just before I left for Grattan, I had to get back into the rear wheel and shock and for some reason, decided to put more tension into the chain. When I got to the track, Palmer and I did a visual check and took more tension out - but obviously not enough. When the spinning problem began to make itself known, we focused on the shock because we knew that the spring rate wasn't ideal for our weights. Thanks for pointing it out. I've looked at that picture at least a dozen times and never caught it.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:24 am 

618F1 wrote:
Steve, the combo of you and Palmer are exceeding the work of some of the legendary Ducati builders! What a great way to start this one out. MikeV

Thanks, Mike - but we've got a long way to go to even approach the legends (as evidenced by the chain tension issue). Sigh..

Having said that, it is a cool bike that handles well and makes stupid power. It was great watching Palmer run with the fast stuff.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:05 pm 

loudbike wrote:
loudbike wrote:
Carlo wrote:

You're right, Carlo - the picture certainly shows what's going on and a check of the tension last night showed that the shock was chain-bound; bouncing off the chain at 3/4 of its stroke. It's pretty embarrassing 'cause I know better. In fact, when I did the wheel alignment and set the sag, I strapped the rear of the bike down to pull the shock down to full compression and set the chain tight at that position.

Then just before I left for Grattan, I had to get back into the rear wheel and shock and for some reason, decided to put more tension into the chain. When I got to the track, Palmer and I did a visual check and took more tension out - but obviously not enough. When the spinning problem began to make itself known, we focused on the shock because we knew that the spring rate wasn't ideal for our weights. Thanks for pointing it out. I've looked at that picture at least a dozen times and never caught it.

Hello Steve, you do not have to thank me, and you do not have to be embarrassed, it happened to me more than once your problem, and there's nothing wrong with that, you are a special person, your responsibility is for us a point reference.

I will tell you a story:

We were in 2002, the final round of the Italian championship hill climb the 500 class vintage.

My rival a 5-point lead over me, my only hope is to win the two tests.

I give up, but my bike does not want to know to stand in the street, I had overhauled the fork, and I forgot to put oil in one of the two stems.

Only at the end I realized ............ you can imagine, as I was angry with myself.

My father always told me: who does nothing, succeeded him less misfortunes, who performs his work.

My Father was a very wise person, I would have loved to take him to America with me, and let him know my friends.

Greetings to all friends of the forum, to my friend Steve, and also to my Father who is no longer.

Carlo ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:35 pm 

Hi Carlo, it is nice to know you take after your father. See you soon my friend. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 am 

Wise words from your father, Carlo. I'm over the frustration now - It's great to have a place (this forum) where we can help each other solve problems and provide support on so many levels.

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement. Next week, the bike goes into a crate and off to its new owner in Australia.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:43 am 

Thank you friends, your words are very beautiful for me!

I would like to point out, to all the other beautiful creations of Loud Bike, that in one page of her beautiful site, there are plenty of workshop manuals, I had only a short time ago, the opportunity to trovarmeli front, with almost flipping habit the site of Steve.

All this because I do not speak and read English.

But now I'm studying!

Thanks Steve, Thanks Lou!

carlo.

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next