DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aussie TT2 track bike build
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:59 am 

Looks awesome... :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:18 am 

;) Thanks go to you Graeme!
You too Shmokica.

I've enjoyed it immensely. Learned a heap along the way to. Nearly there!

When I did a dry run to prime the oil through the engine, there were no crashes and mashing of metal, so hopefully, I've done good.

Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:34 am 

That is a mighty fine looking build, Steve! Congrats on the work so far..

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:11 am 

You have been very very good, his greatest gift was perseverance, you will not ever had to hurry to produce a replica made ​​in haste.

Congratulations! To me, you're very good.

Carlo. ;)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 pm 

Great work, beautiful bike. Hoping it goes well when you start it up. MikeV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:13 am 

618F1 wrote:
Great work, beautiful bike. Hoping it goes well when you start it up. MikeV

well said! :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:08 am 

:mrgreen: Thanks to all of you who inspired me to pursue my dreams!

Well gentlemen, IT LIVES!
Started first shot after I swapped batteries for a fully charged one.
Sounds great, even better now I used proper exhaust packing!
Initial engine shake down has shown I need to get the carbs balanced and double check the timing. But, It starts on chokes and idles pretty good straight from the off.
It's leaking oil from the horizontal cam bearing cover, but that is fixable. I need to replace it for a newer one.
The fuel taps are a little low causing the fuel line of the rear carb to create a high spot. Maybe a different route might help. I could use a photo to show me the routing.

Other than that... Great job for a back yard engine builder!

Short clip:
http://youtu.be/SQhEoZ8NDJg

Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:57 am 

:oops: Well gents,
all good things must have an ending....
Not quiet, but after successfully starting for the first time...the engine refuses to fire. A couple of splutters but nothing further.
We tried everything, spark, float levels, the whole lot. It ends up being the pickup wires are fried. just where the wires from each pickup join to get clipped together to then run out from inside the engine opening.
Cooked would be a better description. I seriously don't know how on earth it started and ran numerous times during the heat cycle running. 4 wires clumped together! The insulation of each wire crumbled when I sliced it open to have a better look.
Anyway, the wires (being kindly supplied by 748girl) are being soldered on to the pickups and oil resistant heatshrink applied over the solder. All covered again by silicone sheathing.
Guru Brad is waiting patiently for me to finish this so he can get the carbs tuned and balanced. He's also given me some pointers along the way since I got so irate with the engine not starting I just cut the pickup wires without determining which wire is which for each pickup polarity. :twisted:
Anyway, while that is being done, I've also rewired the alternator wires (again supplied by 748girl) and that is fitted to the cover. The leaking cam bearing cover has been replaced by another cam cover and that is at the machine shop being prepped for the oil cooler pipe fitting.

Strangely, I've fitted the front sprocket being a 15T with a copy sprocket and it seems to have quite a bit of play on the splined output shaft. I needed a new locking plate and yet, there is about probably 0.5 deg of play in both axial and radial directions between the splines.
When I rebuilt the engine, I thought the shaft splines looked alright, but maybe they have being hacked to death? What is an acceptable limit of play if at all? I'd love zero, but it's a bit late for that now.... :oops:

I await your replies and suggestions.

Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:25 am 

Well, that is exactly what I found when my F1 stopped running at a track day a few years ago. The wires had corroded inside the sheath --- plenty of green copper oxidation. Strangely, if it would start (it did a few times) it would run fine above 4,000 RPM, and then shut off instantly below that. Ohms looked fine when tested outside the engine at the plug. This from a bike that had run great till then. MikeV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:17 pm 

Thanks MikeV,
yep that's exactly what occured. I still can't believe it started and ran nicely.
Well, after some time passing to finish the bike, it started last night and ran rough for a good 5 mins, but the fueling is not right. I mucked around with the float levels after the first run last time, and I stuffed up the levels. At first, no fuel was getting into the cylinders and now I think it's flooding, so after the Festival of Italian Motorcycles display, I'll get back on these before handing it to Brad for him to pass his magic wand. It does need him and so do I.
Brad?

All I have to do is fit the chain, the main fairing and some fork decals and we're ready to show it for others to see. we'll get it running right straight after the FOIM. I have run out of time.
Pictures shortly.
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next