DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 38mm Flat Slide Mikuni Carbs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:02 am 

Has anyone fitted the 38mm flat slide mikuni carbs to their bike and can offer any advice / warnings / findings / setting information please. Also air intake information with respect to air pods or open V Stacks, etc.
I have a set of 40mm delhortos on the bike at present, what woyuld be a better set up?

Post subject: Re: 38mm Flat Slide Mikuni Carbs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:59 pm 

Ozzy,
I have used several sizes of the TM Mikunis on F1's. I have found that depending on how your motor is built up really has a big affect on which size TM Mikuni (flat slide) to uses. I like the simplicity of the Mikuni TM series, as they flow really good but depending on how you use your bike would affect the size I would choose. For a couple of years I used TM 38s on my street F1 with poor results ( street F1 is 750cc, 10.4 to 1 compression, modified 800 cams, small valve 650 heads lightly ported, 6-speed trans, 1999 750 cases, wet slipper clutch, and two into one Conti p/n 0661-84-105 pipe which has about 1.5" baffle core). This year I went to TM36 carbs setup with:
25 pilots
Q-6 needle jets
6FJ40 needles on middle clip
230 mains
4.0 slides
And love how well they work, from idle to redline. I did have to sleeve the original intake manifolds up to 47mm and rotate the 650 manifold out a little and reweld it. I'm able to use K&N style air cleaners for a snowmobile (Factory Spec- Dennis Kirk P/N 30-3807)

For the race motor I have TM41 Pro Series, which don't carb very well below 4500 rpm, but I have experiment cams for top end. The motor is 803cc and 12.4 to 1 compression. The carb specs are:
10 pilots
Q-2 needle jets
6DP4 needle with the clip 4th down from the top
240 mains
3.0 slides
I modified the sleeved the intake manifold as above but didn't have to rootate them. I'm using K&N air cleaners which cost me less then .5 horsepower.

Good luck with you project and let us know what works for you.

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:21 am 

Palmer,

Thanks so much for your detailed response and level of detail :shock: I really have so much to learn! It will be some time before I get a chance to get this project going so if it takes a few years to get back to you and what works on mine, my apologies.
I dont have very much (nil) :oops: mechanical ability but will hopefully be a better mechanic by the tie I put this all together.

I have bought a standard 1986 F1 with I imagine stock cams, heads, etc and have a set of 40mm Delortos on with open mesh velocity stacks, so thought the 38mm flat slides with say a K&N Filter would be a good street / fast sunday ride set up. I will get a local ducati mechanic to service them, fit them and set them up for the bike, if you have a base starting point setting you migt recommend I would appreciate it.

Do you feel these Mikunis will work better than what is on the bike already?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:31 pm 

Ozzy,
The Mikunis and Delortos perform about the same. Each tuner has their own personal favorite carb to work on. For me, I like the Mikuni carbs and have a lot of parts to be able to get them to work good. There are tuners out there that have a lot of experience working on Delortos and can get the to perform real well also.
Palmer

Profile Personal album