DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aussie TT2 track bike build
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:43 am 

Hi Steve ,I've got a 500 pantah that had a hard starting, carbs not working right? Ignition pickups were rewired. It took a while to track the problem and it turned out to be the ND original coils. Fitted Bosch gt40 rt coils and it made a new bike of it. Hope it helps. Boucher.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 pm 

;) Thanks Boucher,
The intake valve on the horiz head was leaking...I don't know why.... I checked it when I assembled the engine....maybe that was the head I worked on after too much beer!
Anyway, it's all back together and running well. I just have to at least balance the carbs and get Brad to give it a once over before a track outing coming up in November. For now, I'll take it around the block silently..... ;)
Here's hoping....
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:19 am 

:?: ok, I took the bike out for its first run on the road.....well, up and down the street actually....naughty me! Carlo would never do such a thing!!!!
It was the first time I got to run though the gears!
However, I did notice the engine "bogged down" when I accelerated so, MikeV's suggestion and everybody else's is to increase the main jets.
Like I said a while back, I needed a baseline (stock) to work from. I'd love a Dyno right about now. Also, the engine seems to chew through spark plugs....they foul up mainly making the next start time very labourious....
Idle is great now......so, the main jets are the next thing to change.
I love this bike and this forum!
Remember the landscaping.....well, that's coming along nicely too.
Lawn mowing? Who needs it!
If only Sig. Carlo could come over!
Cheers,
Steve

Track day here we come!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:04 pm 

Hi Steve, are you snapping the throttle open? are the pumps still operating?
Remember the fuel these days is different to what was around when the manual was printed.
Where's the landscaping pictures?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:19 am 

Hi Graeme,
No, not really snapping them open when I was running it up the street...more like bogging down when I was opening the gas... So, I'm thinking the main jest are on the small side what with the open bell mouths and open exhaust. No probs getting some bigger jets.
I do indeed have the pump jets connected and operating. I have gone back to stock with those. So, I've ordered a bigger size too. The stock jets are 35... Going to 38.
I've ordered H140 & V145 main jets. MikeV suggested going to needle valve & seats to 300. That is what I'm going to do too.
The main thing seems to be the rear carb fuel line doesn't remain filled....it looks like it runs dry...I need to route the fuel line in front the belt drives around to the rear where the carb inlet is. I've seen it routed that way on some race bikes. Going over the main larger cross frame causes the line to rise and then fall which naturally makes the line run dry....
The horizontal carb fuel line is fine. I have a fuel tank breather, but gravity is not working too well....
Pictures of the landscaping hey? Are you serious? This is a classic bike forum mate!
You want pictures.....go to the woodworking forums!
Now, why did you move to Tassie? Why didn't you come past here on the way down?
I could have used a hand for the decking structure!
Actually, stay there....I'm due to go for another ride around that fantastic isle!
Take care and keep in touch if you ever come to mainland!
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:25 am 

Could the pumps be giving more fuel than the engine can handle?
If you disconnect them see if that makes it better or worse?
It's easy to remove the arms and reinstall them.

Let us know when you come down, we can put you up if the house is finished.
I need a hand in the garden too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:49 pm 

:?: hi Graeme,
That is a very thoughtful question! I'll try that. I replaced the worn out arms the last couple of posts when I decided to replace the worn out parts. I agree they are easy to get to.
It's raining crazy up here for the next couple of days....so, I'll let you know how it goes a little later...
Good tip my learned fellow!
When I come down for that R&R....it ain't for garden work! Chin up!
See you!
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:41 am 

:?:
Ok, Graeme I removed the pump arms as you suggested, but when it finally started, at first struggling with chokes on and then only with a start spray in the horizontal carb. Then after warming it up with respect to the neighbours.... As I snapped the throttle open...it was flooding... So, maybe the stock jets are too big? It stopped running as I snapped the throttle. I restarted it with just a slight tug of the cables, it refused to start. It only started with no throttle. Then when it cleared itself, I began to snap the throttle again and it began to struggle. So what do you think makes this engine possessed?
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 am 

:ugeek: Gents,
I realised it's been a fair while since my last post.
So, as an update, I needed to get things right.

Firstly, the carbs were re-set again for the 3rd time. I replaced the needle valve from a 250 to 300. However, I decreased the idle jet from 65's to 62's but increased the main jets from 140 to 145 on the horiz & from 145 to 148 on the vert. The pump jets are disconnected. Makes for a very interesting take off! I still think the fuel lines are running dry for some reason... The tank is breathing properly, it just seems the fuel lines run dry...

Secondly, I replaced the smallish coils to Dyna green coils and Ohh Myy, what a spark! Starts first start! Never used to do that!I used to pump those carbs full of "Start Ya Bastard!" not any more!
This is a big plus.

I stopped to have an eye operation, and I've got an oil leak from the oil pressure switch thread that requires a new helicoil insert. So, it's stopped for a short while.

Other than that, it needs a dyno run mixed with a few street runs!

Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 am 

Hi Steve,
If the oil's not pouring out and the threads are o.k. for a snug up, you might be able to postpone the helicoil job until a more convenient time by applying a thin coat of blue Locktite on both sides of a new crush washer after a good clean up of the mating surfaces.
Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next