DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cylinder Head for a '900' F1?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:03 am 

This is cool! TT & F1 builders now have three options available for cylinder heads:

Red Fox's billet heads
    Sports' converted bathtub heads
    loudbike/J Precision converted Pantah heads

But for the Yellow Bike - which had Bruce Meyers heads - I've been using J Precision heads on my bikes for the past 10 years or so. The 853 was (and still is) one of the quickest F1s in North America and an absolute torque-monster (even with standard F1 cams). We signed an agreement with J Precision to distribute their line of valvetrain components (extreme duty, nitride coated valves as well as guides and seats) and their cylinder head work last month.

I was in Montreal last weekend reviewing the work on the Montjuich and the converted Ally heads and setting up seat height with Patrick - the results are impressive. The Montjuich heads got the full Stage 4 treatment but with the standard valve sizes (given the crazy overlap on the Monty cams). The ports on the Monty heads are a little smaller than those on JP heads used in the 853 in order to keep velocity up, but the set-up should work extremely well. We installed cams/rockers, set the seat and valve height and then last week, Patrick finished the combustion chambers, added a small 'd-port' in the exhaust, created the final CNC profiles and sent the heads out for cosmetic finishing.

The converted Ally heads look identical to the Monty heads; but for the use of 42/36mm valves as per CrankyRoller's NCR #7 recipe. Lots of welding and over 18 operations to make the conversion - with the 'd-port', new spark plug hole, combustion chamber profile, additional material over the exhaust valve and final finishing in process this week.

How it works:
Send us your Pantah/Ally heads and we send them back with:
    Conversion to F1 “B” spec – set-up per Weber’s NCR #7 recipe (42/36)
    Stage 4 porting – Combustion chamber compatible with stock F1 pistons
    New valves, seats, guides, seals
    Stripped and looking like new

We're also going to create CNC profiles for conversion to a 'bathtub' chamber - but for the moment, we're excited about being able to create an old-school set-up that truly captures the essence of what these machines were like in top form back in the day (but with more torque and rideability). Until I began the TT1 project, I had forgotten how amazing the old-school set-up sounds and feels on the track. I raced Fran McDermott's TT1 in our endurance series for years and even though we haven't run in the series in a few years we still have more podium finishes than any other team. Yes, the shorter duration cams (900SS ie, etc) create a nice torquey engine, but they don't deliver the intoxicating sound and urgent power delivery you get with the #7s.

I'll post some pics after my Montreal pic this weekend - We're in production next week, PM me for pricing.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:37 pm 

hello

tried it all
i made the first example as you will do

welding,machining welding again ,machining again and so on
@ the end the head is not in correct shape anymore
so i decided to make it from billet allu
and believe me, this is the most economic way and far out the best ,i went through all this 2 years before

new stuff on www.redfox-grinta.com

soon billet allu rearsets availlible for tt2-tt1
best regards
jan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:29 pm 

redfox wrote:
hello

welding,machining welding again ,machining again and so on
@ the end the head is not in correct shape anymore
so i decided to make it from billet allu
and believe me, this is the most economic way and far out the best
jan

Jan:

There are advantages to all three of the options (yours, Sports' and ours) that seem to be available right now. It seems that all three of us explored all of the options and given a difference in needs, skills, equipment and passion - each chose a different path.

And each of the paths have unique advantages to the buyer/builder based on their starting point..

If you already have Pantah heads and want to get some more horsepower from them, you now have an option.

If you are starting with a donor motor and no heads, you have two options..

That's exciting news for everyone playing with these machines.

That you had distortion issues from welding the heads doesn't necessarily mean that we did - and there's enough CNC work in the process to make our approach affordable.

Your billet head looks like a cool solution and I'll likely try one on my next big-block project - but it isn't necessarily the best solution for every application. Sports' solution looks interesting as well - and I'd love to see them do an 800 head.. As an enthusiast, I'll probably end up using all three over time.

On a final note - if you're going to participate on this forum as a vendor, please play nice. This forum is like a family and we intend to keep it that way.

Regards,

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:41 am 

Hi has anyone out there tried or heard of some that has welded up a rear later model reversed head to turn it around to a pantah style head? It's probably been answered already, but I carn't find it. Boucher.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:34 am 

I'm interested, too ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:23 pm 

Yes, Boucher, Glyn Robinson, at SPORTS in NZ, has done this. He is probably at Phillips Island event now. MikeV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:35 pm 

It's a simple equation. The number of TT2's possible equates to the number of rear heads available.

Yes, I have converted a number of later heads over recent years, but there is an awful lot of work involved. That doesn't mean I will not do any more in the future, but the Redfox product is certainly a cost effective option.