DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tribute to the Pantah F2 No. 8
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:11 pm 

Let me give you a question: You can drive the motorcycle, with sandals in America?

In Italy we can also drive with flip flops!

We must succeed, has to ride a Ducati TT1 Lou Saif. :shock:

We must find the biker suit XXXXXXXXXXL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr. Slinn, is a very humble person.

I will put a picture, because we will not forget with whom we are talking and laughing.

Mr. Slinn, is too strong!

I feel very lack of friends met at Barber! Sob......Sob......

Ciao Pat, Ciao Lou Ciao a tutti!!!

Sorry for my English

Carlo Leoncini.

Attachments:
slinn_foto_135.jpg
slinn_foto_135.jpg [ 52.21 KiB | Viewed 3033 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:34 pm 

Carlo, your personality your character and your smile are infectious !. ( I will never forget your smile). Your presence at Ducstock added a whole dimension to the event.

The picture you posted of me with Tony Rutter was taken about half an hour before the start of the 1981 F2 race in the Isle of Man. Tony always found something for me to do to his bike just before the start. I remember very well this instance, he wanted the handlebars re-positioned, they had not been moved since he last rode it and broke the lap record. I said ok, I did nothing !, he won the race, he said everything was perfect with the bike.

Carlo, please keep making the wonderful parts that you do, keep putting them into lovely "hand made" bags, you are unique !!

Regards, Pat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:44 pm 

Yesterday I found the source of the misfire on the No. 8 Pantah and, as I suspected, it was the Bosch ignition. But not deep inside the engine at the pickups, where I looked. It was at the ends where the wires go into the 4-gang mole connector. Cutting off three inches, removing all the old crumbling thin sheathing, and putting new pin connectors on solved the problem. Funny how a continuity test does not help show that. Fired up on the second spin, and it runs. Sounds pretty nasty too, almost as bad-ass as some of those "big old" TT1s and TT2s at the Ducfest loud bike contest, but without all the grief of that rear wheel starter. Would have been nice to fire it up there and maybe even try out the track, but at least it runs fast in my garage. Next spring awaits. MikeV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:07 am 

Mike... what can one say.. your magnificent bike is a work of art! and to get such high praise from Pat Slinn is an honour indeed.. and well deserved I think! I wish I had some of your skill!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:50 pm 

You are kind with your comments, and Mr. Slinn was kind with his help --- and his review. Like all bikes, it looks better in the photos than in real life; the paint is probably the weakest part, and I have much to learn about that. But I am happy with it, and plan to put it on a track somewhere around here next year. It now has 38mm Dellorto flatslides, and starts on the first attempt. MikeV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:28 am 

618F1 wrote:
You are kind with your comments, and Mr. Slinn was kind with his help --- and his review. Like all bikes, it looks better in the photos than in real life; the paint is probably the weakest part, and I have much to learn about that. But I am happy with it, and plan to put it on a track somewhere around here next year. It now has 38mm Dellorto flatslides, and starts on the first attempt. MikeV

Not kind Mike just true! from what I understand you have done the welding and the paintwork yourself... having never done it before... that takes a lot of trust in oneself and the balls to go ahead when disaster could be looming around the corner!

I have recently built a 900SL and a 900SS from the ground up. People have applauded me for it when in reality all I did was just assemble a bunch of parts. Ok I made a few brackets and made some carbon fibre bits and pieces. But someone else did the hard work, the welding the painting the engine rebuilds!

What you (and others on this here forum) have done takes true skill and I am a wee bit envious of that! I look at my bikes whith not a small amount of satisfaction... and then look at yours and feel somewhat deflated!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:00 pm 

Hi geo7863,
I used to feel your pain, but I think I’ve come to the conclusion that life is too short to feel deflated about any skills not acquired along the way. I can’t weld, paint, or do serious engine work. My machining skills are limited to a table top drill press and bench grinder, and my track riding can best be described as slow. However, I now think of myself as a decent general contractor that really enjoys doing what I know I can do. For us amateurs, these bikes are just for having fun with, and when you have been responsible for getting yours up and running and ridden, give credit where credit is due, then stand back and fully bask in it’s glow.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:10 pm 

pantah_good wrote:
Hi geo7863,
I used to feel your pain, but I think I’ve come to the conclusion that life is too short to feel deflated about any skills not acquired along the way. I can’t weld, paint, or do serious engine work. My machining skills are limited to a table top drill press and bench grinder, and my track riding can best be described as slow. However, I now think of myself as a decent general contractor that really enjoys doing what I know I can do. For us amateurs, these bikes are just for having fun with, and when you have been responsible for getting yours up and running and ridden, give credit where credit is due, then stand back and fully bask in it’s glow.
Bill

Thanks Bill for your kind words to sweeten the pain ;)

I know we cannot all be excellent at everything, we all have strengths and weaknesses. And I am happy with what I have done... starting out wanting a respray..ending up building two bikes from scratch and now building an F1 race replica.

Everyone has told me that welding for example is not that hard.... but I am too impatient... if I start welding I want to weld now and weld GOOD NOW! same as painting... its not a hard skill but time consuming and laborious with all the prep and rub-downs...just not patient enough. I can fabricate carbon fibre bits, but not mould them...I havent got the patience to learn all the ins and outs of release agents formers etc etc etc

So my gripe is not that others are better than me, but that I am too lazy to do it myself :P

However what I have done has all been great fun indeed, searching for the bits, pondering solutions to problems! I have had experts tell me something cant be done and my pigheaded stubborness comes out and I find a way to do it! Example I took a Baglux bagster tank cover for a Ducati 900SS to a saddlemaker with my F1 race tank and said 'make that fit that'.. 'cant be done' says he so I spent three weeks cutting and sewing and made it myself..ok its a bit on the scruffy side when compared to a new Baglux tank cover but I am well chuffed with it :D

Yes its all great fun indeed regardless of that fact that others can do it better :D

regards

George

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm 

Thought I would post a few photos of some revisions since the Barber Ducfest. Finally added the correct rear Lockheed caliper, switched to a Lockheed front master cylinder, routed the tank breather tube, and added proper bungee cords for the battery (that is what they used). But I had to switch to Dellorto flatslides to get it to run well. MikeV
Attachment:
IM007634.JPG
IM007634.JPG [ 541.85 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]

Attachments:
IM007638.JPG
IM007638.JPG [ 571.2 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
IM007637.JPG
IM007637.JPG [ 523.51 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
IM007636.JPG
IM007636.JPG [ 559.38 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
IM007635.JPG
IM007635.JPG [ 546.58 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 pm 

In 2015 I made more revisions to bring the bike closer to the original: built a new engine with some components, and a look, more like the 1980s; revised the front tube from the head to the front engine mount, added a more-correct bracket for the trailing arm, added some more-appropriate fairing side brackets, and, painted the frame with epoxy. During the course of doing this I gave up on the Bosch ignition and installed a 1990s-era 600 flywheel (light steel) and Kokusan components; now it starts, and runs, and I know for certain that the Lectron carbs actually work! In August I took it to a vintage bike event in Tacoma, Washington, and entered it in the competition group [while showing it as a replica]. MikeV

PS: I will post some photos of other flywheels I have found in another section soon.

Attachment:
004.JPG
004.JPG [ 3.8 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Attachment:
009.JPG
009.JPG [ 3.8 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Attachment:
010.JPG
010.JPG [ 3.66 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Attachment:
011.JPG
011.JPG [ 3.37 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Attachment:
011.JPG
011.JPG [ 3.37 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Attachment:
016.JPG
016.JPG [ 4.14 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Attachment:
019.JPG
019.JPG [ 4.16 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Attachment:
046.JPG
046.JPG [ 4.43 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Attachments:
016.JPG
016.JPG [ 4.06 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next