DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:41 pm 

HI Guys,

I have just added to my stable with the purchase of a 1980 MHR to keep my 1986 F1 company. (Very happy).
My question to throw out for anyone who can add any advice or experience or opinion is that as I have purchased nice new 17" Techno mag wheels to the F1 as well as a NOS M1R front end and discs and 4 pot calipers, etc,,,,sooo I am going to have all of these nice stock parts coming off the F1 and was wondering if I could put them on the Hailwood, including:

The 40mm forks, the 16" oscams along with the floating 280 discs and calipers onto the front of the MHR and then the 18" oscam on the rear with disc and calipers. (I just bought a wide Verlicchi 160 rear swingarm). So what do you think??

The fiddly bits will be the side the chain runs but was hoping to flip the wheel (Can??) aligning the front to rear sprocket; will the triple trees fit on the MHR head stem??

Does this sound like a bad mix, wont work, or something worth trying??? It would be cool if I could pull it off (It has a SS fairing) so its a bit of a mix already.

Post subject: Re: Hailwood with F1 wheels & Forks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:19 pm 

I have seen similar things done, and I think it looks..........odd.......the proportions are strange. Might look better with an 18-inch wheel from an Alazzurra. You will soon be looking for non-existant replacement seals for the 40m forks too. If I had an MHR I would keep it period correct. Otherwise, with all those parts in your hands you can measure them now, and see how much grief it involves, or doesn't. MikeV.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm 

Hi Ozzy,
A very quick answer. The steering head bearings are the same and the steering head heights are pretty close, so I would say the triple clamps probably could be exchanged. You can flip the rear wheel. Some things I would be concerned about are the front wheel to front cylinder clearance at full fork compression, and the 16" front may reduce cornering ground clearance on the bevel a little. I believe you would have to use the bevel rear caliper carrier.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 pm 

HI MIke,

I saw a photo on ebay (one of those cards for sale) of a supposed 1989 prototype of a Mille with the oscams and the SS fairing (which is what I intend) and it looked cool (each to their own); also agree the full hailwood is the business; my aim was to make a bit of a street cafe racer look.
Attachment:
hailwood10.jpg
hailwood10.jpg [ 149.64 KiB | Viewed 3130 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:02 pm 

HI Bill,

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Your comments on the forks and front cylinder, is this due to the length of the ceraini 40mm forks versus the standard 38mm MHR items, or the 16th inch wheel?
I know on my 1098 under hard braking at the track the wheels rubs on the oil cooler & touches the cylinder.

I was going to put heavier springs in her and a spacer, but woyuld an 18" wheel solve the issue or make it worse?

The new verlicchi wider swingarm I bought comes with a nice 280mm brake caliper carrier.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it; my biggest worry is finding the fork seals..... :?

(PS: the photo above is my new girl)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:43 pm 

Nice bike Ozzy, I haven't seen a side cover like that before?
graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:47 pm 

Ozzy,
I just meant when you change to a whole new front end, you want to be sure of your clearances at all the limits of travel. There's really only one way to find out.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:41 pm 

Sorry I sounded grumpy yesterday Ozzy. But looking at that bike I see a great cafe already. Funny how I plan to take an Alazurra frame and make it look like that, and you want to take that and make it look more like an F1. Reminds me of how I could not stop modifying my Guzzi LeMans (rode it over 25 years), and one day I realized it did not look like what I once thought was so neat ( saw a brand new one sitting at Sears Point AFM race in 1978). So I restored it back to stock and put all the hot rod parts on another frame. Back to the F1 wheels Ozzy---have you ever held one bare? They are boat anchors! And I still think a 16-inch wheel on a bevel drive is odd looking. But if you want to use the Forcella forks and 280mm floating rotors you could simply have the stock triple clamps bored to 40mm since there is room for that---and those great goldline calipers would probably bolt right up. MikeV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:05 am 

Thanks Mike,

I appreciate your comments, I also like the wheels that are on her now, I might look at buying another set of triple clamps and bore them out to slot the F1 forks into, or maybe the ones off the F1 will do the job as I think I saw a comment that they fit the MHR as I got a new set of trees with the M1R's.
I mainly wanted to have better suspension, brakes and tyres, I was going to get a twin set of Ohlins on the back, run a wider tyre, use the floaters off the F1 and the goldies on the MHR.
I found a cheap Allazura front wheel on eBay so I can still go that way as well, but if they are heavier than lead maybe no point.
Anyway its still at the concept dream stage so its good to get opinions from as many people as possible, particularly guys with the runs on the board that have tried a few things on different Ducs. I just saw all of this stuff coming off the F1 and thought heres an idea........... :idea:

The photo of my F1 shows the discs not sure if they will fit the campos or be any bettre than what is there already... :?:

Attachments:
duc750.jpg
duc750.jpg [ 145.96 KiB | Viewed 3044 times ]
ducf1.jpg
ducf1.jpg [ 138.41 KiB | Viewed 3044 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:06 am 

If you look close you will see quite a few changes on this MHR Ozzy. I have seen that F1 before, and maybe that building. Do you live in the NW US? MikeV
Attachment:
mhb.jpg
mhb.jpg [ 96.83 KiB | Viewed 3034 times ]