DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What got you interested in TT's/F1's?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 pm 

Way back in the mid 80's (as an impressionable teenager), I saw a (unbeknown to me) Honda VF500 f11. It was the first racer rep I had ever seen, and in an attempt to find out what it was I bought publication that shown all the production bikes from all manufacturers. As I flicked through (and as Ducati comes before Honda in the alphabet) I saw the 750 f1 and was immediately in love (the above mentioned Honda now forgotten). I had pictures of it on my bedroom wall for years.
Fast forward 20 odd years and many Jap bikes later, I bought my first supersport (1994 bandy). In the 5 years since that day I have since built a supersport special with all the bells and whistles and had given up on getting an original F1 (though I had thought of making a replica with a 900ss engine).
.....Then just before christmas, in a shop just up the road a 1 owner F1 materialised. In a fit of panic I dashed to the bank and secured the cash, and now I am awaiting taking delivery. Its an 86 F1B in pretty good condition, and though I will be skint for the foreseeable future I have (or will when it arrives) fulfilled a lifelong ambition :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:21 am 

jaydeetz wrote:
I only decided to build a works F1 replica 'cos the club I was in at the time restricts the class to 2 valve and air-cooled and i didnt want a 4 cylinder as everyone else has one of those!
Until this I wasnt really interested !

But...I am actually falling for the old racer as we make it, I mean, 100hp and 140kg should be fun no matter what and I cant wait to hear it run !! :D

Sorry mate you are not allowed to answer this thread until you make me a swingarm for my bike! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:27 am 

Steve you must have amazing self control.... I dont know how you managed to find the Romanelli collection of all the wonderfull bits and bobs... but I would be tempted to hoard it all for myself! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:39 am 

[/quote]

Sorry mate you are not allowed to answer this thread until you make me a swingarm for my bike! :D[/quote]

You really want one Geo?

Will get some pics up of the finished article tonight, and PM you with a price if you want bud.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:54 am 

jaydeetz wrote:

Sorry mate you are not allowed to answer this thread until you make me a swingarm for my bike! :D[/quote]

You really want one Geo?

Will get some pics up of the finished article tonight, and PM you with a price if you want bud.[/quote]

Yes please mate, if it fits the later width crankcases and I beleive yours is for a monster engine yes? then I will buy one from you for sure!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 am 

Watching Kevin Magee running around on Bob Brown's TT2 in the early '80's in Australian Superbike racing was unforgetable. A 600cc Ducati monstering the 1000cc japanese multi's. Priceless.

Every other motorcycle eversince has seemed too big and too heavy......

Magoo went onto a fine GP500 career while Bob Brown managed to run his 750 F1 (after starting from the back row) to 4th behind Lucchinelli's factory bike at Daytona in '86. I think he's still building fast Ducati's in Melbourne somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:09 pm 

I have a race at Oran Park? On tape somewhere, where Magee beat Dave Robbins (NCR bevel) riding Bob Browns TT. Magee was playing with Robbins the whole race, like Rossi used to do. Graeme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:58 pm 

graeme wrote:
I have a race at Oran Park? On tape somewhere, where Magee beat Dave Robbins (NCR bevel) riding Bob Browns TT. Magee was playing with Robbins the whole race, like Rossi used to do. Graeme

Heya graeme. An old mate of mine up the way has a fruit box full of VHS tapes from the '80's, '90's + and that race is in there too! I've been thinking of going up and nicking them and trying to digitise some of it for upload to Youtube for posterity. It sounds like you've been hoarding old vids too huh?

Luv ya bike btw.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 am 

Hi

A few pictures i took at Oran Park Australia in the early 80s. I had a pantah at the time and though i would never get to own a TT. Times have changed
Pictures a bit faded but still ok to reminisce about those good old days
Also took some pictures of a Darmah racing with the TTs

Cheers Jon

Attachments:
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg [ 559.31 KiB | Viewed 1932 times ]
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg [ 393.37 KiB | Viewed 1932 times ]
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg [ 561.27 KiB | Viewed 1932 times ]
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg [ 406.18 KiB | Viewed 1932 times ]
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg [ 782.05 KiB | Viewed 1932 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:03 am 

agshark wrote:
Hi

A few pictures i took at Oran Park Australia in the early 80s. I had a pantah at the time and though i would never get to own a TT. Times have changed
Pictures a bit faded but still ok to reminisce about those good old days
Also took some pictures of a Darmah racing with the TTs

Cheers Jon

Some wonderful history there Jon. Thanks for sharing. Where's the Darmah?

I see that a few of those bikes were entered by Frasers, the australian importers. I wonder if they were factory TT2's? I think the bike in the 3rd and 5th photos is the same machine that was photographed by Phil Aynsley in 1982 in Frasers showroom before it had turned a wheel.

http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/ ... ?album=956

The 4th photo looks to be the later incarnation of Bob Browns bike? Anyone remember who was riding them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next