DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cuttler super TT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:11 pm 

hello some of you already know a bit about this project but for those of you who don,t here it is.project started with the acquisition of a 2002 ducati 900ss motor from the simianas for an exaust i had just fabbed for them. it sat on an engine stand in my garage for several months until i formulated a plan.the TT2/f1 has always been one of my faves from borga pignali it was just a matter of how to build one with my budget but those who know me know i have finely honed scrounging skills.the first donation came from steve hicks from ducati NA he donated an old 95 900sswarranty frame that was going to be thrown out.after examining ten million pics of TT2 frames and then looking at the frame i have it wasn,t hard to see the lineage.it was just a matter of cutting away every thing that didn,t look like a TT2! this involved removing alot of braces and most of the frame aft of the shock mount except the 2 top rails.and then replacing them with the proper braces and bends to make it into a TT2 frame. the next problem that arose was the front suspension. i didn,t want to use an upsideown front end because i wanted the bike to look semi authentic i actually like the look of conventional forks on the right bike.i had the front end and brakes from a 2002 cbr 600rr which are 45 mm conventional full cartridge front forks and decided to use these.however i had to machine up a new steering stem to fit the ducati bearings with this done it was a matter of simpley bolting on the honda triples and forks. at the same time sandy noce from pro six came through with a set of machesini 5 spokes from a tz 250 i machined up a set of captured spacers and with that the front end was finished. the front wheel came with a set of a set of IRC cast rotors which i were a little larger than the rotors on the honda so i will have to make up adapters for the calipers. i decided to go with the 4 piston nissan calipers from the honda as i know these work every bit as good as brembos and hey i already have them! Ben Gartner donated a set of brembo master cylinders for the handle bars and that took care of the front end.i purchased a steel swing arm from an older 900ss theft recovery bike and upon getting it home found that it was twisted you can not believe how much force is required to straighten one of these! after test assembling the motor frame and front end and swing arm and wheels i realized that the bike looked kinda long for a TT2! After going to the 2010 docc rally with measuring tape in hand i found that my project was about 3 inches too long! the three inches was found in the swing arm by cutting off the front castings and shortening the front of the swing arm the bike now looks right! the next problem to solve was a gas tank, the 900ss upper frame rails are a little wider than a TT2 ok 1 inch wider so no stock TT2 profile was going to fit the frame properly.after long consideration about having an aluminium one fabed(expensive) making one myself from aluminium(uncharted waters) i decided to make one from fiberglass with a version of the lost wax method. this involved buying hi density foam insulation gluing it together and then carving a tank from it it is then covered in fiberglass and the interior carved out then melted out with gas or thinners.the carving took me 5 days(i still have blue styrodust every where in my house)but turned out spectacular, i handed the finished product to my long turm partner in crime Rick Covello who is now in the process of doing the fibreglass work.this week i finished the drawings for the components of the rear swing arm this will be a semi quick change rear wheel with the rear caliper being captured as a landing point for the rear wheel. these parts are being made for me by durmach machine in bowmanvile they also have a long history of making custom parts for racers.Now i know some of you are asking hey what about the motor,i will not disappoint ,this will not be just a 900ss motor jammed into a TT2 looking frame! the heads have been removed and sent to Oshawa Precision Cycle to have the valves swapped on the rear head and given a 5 angle valve job. Rick Covello donated a set of Monjuic cams. pistons and several other items will be added soon.and i have designed my own dry clutch covers that are being manufactured by Durmach which i will have for sale at a very reasonable price as well as a new slave cylinder which will also be sold for a very reasonable price . i will keep you guys informed as the project progresses more.

Andrew Cuttler

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: cuttler super TT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:31 pm 

holy cow - what is it about TT's that pushes us off the deep end? Any pictures?
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:41 am 

Andrew, 110 points for commitment.
Take lots of pictures please!
graeme

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:54 am 

Cool project, but I agree with the rest - you are teasing us without pictures!!!

Duc 900SS-FE #181

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:28 am 

Ken Livingston has also been very helpful with this project lending me parts here and there and giving me advice!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:51 am 

i will try and post some pics today guys!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:57 pm 

Andy,

You're bringing your creation to Mosport for our DOCC trackdays, right?

Did anyone mention pictures?

Thanks for the story so far,

Fran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:22 am 

Please let us know when the Clutch Covers and Slave Cylinders are available, I know of at least 4 that are required in NZ!