DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: forcella italia fork rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 am 

"p.s. Where is Mr. Mike (CrankyRoller tech expert) Weber when we need him?" :roll:
Interesting comment for a guy that has me on speed-dial!

The F1 seals were unique both in structure and installation. This was to offer the seal replacement without disassembly. The seals are no longer available causing a real issue with those that don’t just “show” their bikes. Last year I had made drawings based on an NOS seal captured from Loudbike stock. The peculiar requirement from normal fork seals requires the base of the seal to be leak tight to the lower fork stanchion (that’s the slider Bill 8-) ). This is achieved by rim loading with the threaded cup construction (go look back at Pantah-goodie picture). After reviewing those special requirements I finally got quotes from a seal maker that I thought could produce a proper replacement. Cost and quantity were an issue. I had thought we had an alternative solution similar to Bills “fix” which was successfully tested at Barber by duc_181.
Problem solved…..but the seals are no longer available like the original. Back to waiting for Bill to ride his pogo stick?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 pm 

Graeme,
Zipped file of seal photos finally emailed.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:58 am 

OK Graeme.

We will all wait (fingers crossed) to see if the Brissie seal maker can come up with a copy that will do the job. I will buy a few sets of them (Gold Coast), my seals are totally shot leaked out all over my discs rim and tyre while being strapped down and transported from the States to Brisbane.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:03 pm 

I may have found fork seals that work seems like a late 90's bmw may have used a fork seal with the same dimensions!I have a set coming this week and will let you all know the part number if it works.
Paul

Last edited by huit on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:32 pm 

Good work Paul!

BMW's come in handy some times. I believe a R1100 model uses the same floating rotor buttons as ours do, and I know the earlier K bikes use the same inside the tank fuel pumps, filter, etc parts as some of the earlier 851's. And all their parts are well documented on the net.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:38 pm 

Hey Ozzie, did you get to see John at A and B Seals?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:43 pm 

Hi Graeme

Sorry I didnt get back to you before now; I am based overseas the bike is in my brothers shed in Brisbane so I cant get at the fork or the workshop at this time. I will be back home early next month so will see what I can do while I am back.

Cheers mate

graeme wrote:
Hey Ozzie, did you get to see John at A and B Seals?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:48 pm 

Okay, so the seal is late 80's it is a regular seal so no dust seal, id to correct od is 52.3 instead of 52.5mm.
I did a little research today at work and found that locktite makes a product that can easily fill the gap and will for a leak proof seal, you only have 15 seconds to get it al together!
What i did was make a 1mm spacer to go behind the seal after install, to help with install of the seal I turned up a tool . The tool locates the seal by the id, apply loctite on the ring nut, push ring nut on to seal ..voila!
Just have to wait for spring now!!!
Just another version of Bill's fix!
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:02 pm 

Ughhhh...the eternal wait for spring. What's your latitude Paul? Mine's 43.323151.
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:24 am 

HI Guys,

I am probably stupid or missing something but I did a quick google search of the Ducati Part No.(Ducati # 067037225) mentioned in this thread and came up with 2 online shops selling them; Pro-Italia (I just bought a set from) and Stein-Dinse (couldnt understand) but the photos look like what I am seeing on this thread, so lets home they are the right ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next