DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanted Wheels - Wider than stock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:50 am 

If anyone has a set of 18" rims that are wider than standard I would be very keen to purchase them for my Hailwood. Prefer Campo look or similar but willing to look at anything that would work well to allow a larger tyre to be fitted (particularly on the rear).

Thanks

Craig

Post subject: Re: Wanted Wheels - Wider than stock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 am 

Hi Craig,
I assume you're talking a bevel here, and not the Pantah. I feel your pain. Those big bikes cry out for better wheels if you ride them. A few years ago on my 1980 900ss, I mounted up a set of magnesium 2.5" and 3.5" three spoke Marvic 18" Pantah wheels I had, and was amazed at how much better the bike worked. I'm sure the biggest improvement was due to the much lighter un-sprung weight, but I also think those widths are ideal for these bikes. It was a drop in conversion too. Just ran the rear "backwards" and notched the chain guard a little for the wider tire. I eventually lost confidence in that old magnesium holding up against the crappy pavement around here, and put the o.e.m. skinny lead wheels back on. I really hate them now. So, I'm in the process of building a set of wires for it. I've always loved wire wheels and think they will look good on the black and gold '80. They will be lighter than the FPS's, and the widths will be right. But, I'm not sure wires would be the right look for a Hailwood. You may have thought of these wheels already, but the Oscam's off a later Alazzurra are 2.5" and 3.0" wide, and are cheap and easily obtainable. Two BIG pluses when wheel shopping for older bikes. They also would be a drop in conversion. Not sure if they weigh much less than the FPS wheels though. Style wise, I think they would be acceptable. You can't see them when you're riding it anyway. On page 122 of Falloon's "Original Ducati Sport and Super Sport" book, there are pictures of a couple of half faring Vogel Mille Hailwoods wearing these "three spoke" Oscam's in red. Maybe better on a regular Hailwood painted gold??

I hope these thoughts help you somehow. I think you are on the right track, and will notice a ride improvement however you go about it. Please keep us posted, I love hearing about these projects.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:51 am 

Gday Bill,

Yes I took your earlier advice and got a 18" oscam front on eBay off a Cagiva and will mate it with the rear off my 750 F1 (and paint them both Gold to suit the MHR).

I have purchased a wider Verlichi Rep swingarm so can go up to a 160 rear, but I think 150 is enough. I also just scored a set of new Ohlins for the rear so really want to stick a wider rim and tyre in the back.

Up front I am still toying with a M1R option and see if I can put some Ohlins springs in them and maybe a Gold valve Set Up if possible.

So again a larger softer contact patch up front would be the business as would a possible brake upgrade with increased grip levels.

I am not sure if the Oscams will get me to where I want, but for sure it will be half way there and moving forward from the standard set up which will make the bike more enjoyable to ride. It is not a show bike and I have some great mountains and canyons in my back yard.

So if anyone has wider and lighter than F1 Oscam please let me know.

Thanks

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 am 

Hi Craig,
Sorry, I forgot I'd been thru all that on the other thread, barely 2 1/2 months ago. A month is pushing my limit, so you'll just have to make more frequent progress reports.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:33 am 

Thanks Bill. I thought I was going crazy. MikeV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm 

Hello.

I have for sale marvic 2,5x18 front and 3,25x18 rear.

Harry.