DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clutch slave o ring dimensions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:58 pm 

Does anyone know the dimension or better, a supplier, of an o ring that fits an '85 clutch cover slave? Mine has dried out, leaks and Ian G does not have any.

While I'm at it, any suggestions on where to source the bearing?

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Clutch slave o ring dimensions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:11 pm 

Try Phil at Road and Race, 02 4388 421. He has some odd thing sometimes.
graeme

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 am 

Hi Jeff,
I rebuilt my clutch slave a year ago and came up with these parts. Please note, they are for a '86 F1B that had a 31mm dia. piston. According to Lou Saif there are (3?) different versions/sizes of clutch slaves. For the bore o-ring I measured up the existing one and ordered the closest sizes from McMaster-Carr in EPDM compound for brake fluid. The one I used was their number 9557K486 (EPDM O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 217).

My new bearing was SKF 630/8-2RS1 which I ordered thru Applied Industrial Technologies. Any decent bearing supply house should be able to get them.

Hope this helps.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:26 pm 

I've been taking my time going through the problems on my F1...the clutch slave cylinder o-ring needs to be replaced. I've discovered that mine is fairly early, in that the o-ring is in the slave cylinder instead of on the slave piston. The slave piston is 31mm...so the slave cylinder o-ring is going to have to be somewhat bigger. I've read the posts already attached to this topic, but they don't lead me to any website...telephone number...or any other identifying characteristic. If anyone has the information handy, could you please tell me who these people are, and how do I get in touch???
Thanks

Miguel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 pm 

Hey Miguel,

McMaster-Carr is an industrial supply house. They have stores in most major U.S. cities. I'm not sure about Mexico.

You can check their website to see if they have a listing of stores.

Or, you can order online from them.

> http://www.mcmaster.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:58 pm 

Dukerer....Thank you very much for the help. I,ve checked out the o-ring you have suggested. It appears to be perfect. Have you used this ring??? Just to double check, I need an o-ring to go on the wall of the slave cylinder...not the slave piston. From the dimensions this appears to be the product. Just reassure me!

Thanks

Miguel

BTW....I will have a vast surplus of these o-rings if anyone needs a handful!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:33 pm 

May be this should be a new topic, but you guys should know that I've exchanged a message with McMaster and I've done some research on their website, and you should know that they do not recommend using EPDM o-rings where they will be in contact with hydraulic fluid. In that section of their website where they describe the properties of the various kinds of o-rings, they have a big "NR" for EPDM o-rings and hydraulic fluid (Not Recommended). Maybe you guys that have recommended this type of ring use silicone...or some other fluid, but I use basic hydraulic (brake) fluid. So I will be using a different material.

Thanks for the info about McMaster....

Miguel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:32 am 

Hi Miguel,
I should probably reply here since I wrote the earlier post mentioning the EPDM compound. I'm pretty sure I got the compound info from Mr. CrankyRoller, maybe he'll jump in here too. I don't know why McMaster-Carr put the "NR" for the EPDM compound. Anyway, I Googled "o-ring compounds for brake fluid" and here's a handful of the results. They may help you decide which one to use.
Bill

http://www.rocketseals.com/catalog/o-rings-and-seals-for-u-s-measurements/o-rings/o-ring-compounds

http://www.epm.com/material_guide.htm

http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Automotive%20Brake%20Fluid#mat

http://www.sealingspecialties.com/materials.htm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:01 pm 

You know.....this is getting to be borderline educational. Too many supply houses are saying that EPDM is really great stuff for hydraulic fluid...but not so good for petroleum based fluids. My guess is that McMaster is assuming that brake fluids are petroleum based...which must not be the case. My next o-rings are going to be made out of EPDM.....and as I mentioned earlier...I will have a vast supply. They come in packages of 50 and cost about 10 cents each...

Miguel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:28 pm 

Wait a minute - it just dawned on me that I have 49 left over from my rebuild. The McMaster-Carr #9557K486 (EPDM O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 217) ones for my 31mm slave. I can't imagine needing to rebuild it more than 30 or 40 more times. Miguel, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a few.
Bill