DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ongoing Project
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:00 pm 

pantah_good wrote:
I think it looks good, and I like your old school Dzus fasteners too. Nice job.
Bill

Thanks Bill...er... what looks good? the seat or the whole package? yes I like the original Dzus fasteners too, cant find any of the smaller ones for the bottom fairing panel though so will use normal screws on that!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm 

customheadf1750 wrote:
wow.
" Also managed to get this frosty little bad boy made up for me by a Polish colleague and his cousin's dad's CNC machine! Cheap as chips as they say down London way! All I need to do is get it welded together and a couple of HK1512 bearings whacked in! :D""

is that a copy of the 1988 tricolor 851 suspension component?

any more available? Im building an 851 frame based special (just getting components together now) and would love one of those!

cheers

Sean

Hello Sean

not sure if it is a copy of the tricolour jobbie, its a copy of the very first 851 framed bike though, similar to the original F1 Endurance racers, but with the ride height adjuster at the front.

yes there can be more available if you want one, I have three made up so far one for my F1, but the welder half melted it when welding together, one for my next project bike which is away being welded now and the other is awaiting welding when I see how good this second one is..otherwise I will have to find yet another welder to do the work.

I can use metal putty to sort out the melted edges on the first but I doubt if I can get it to look good enough, but can get more made up in Poland if you or anyone else wants one! At cost price not really after profit on my hobby 8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 pm 

I like the whole project, but I meant the seat. Now, the more I look at it, I guess it does look a little long. I think they got the TT styling perfect, suppose the F1 styling had to be compromised a little for the street. Here's photos of an '88 Tricolor rocker. The prototype 851 rockers had machined side plates.
Bill

Attachments:
rocker 005.jpg
rocker 005.jpg [ 491.32 KiB | Viewed 1801 times ]
rocker 006.jpg
rocker 006.jpg [ 514.06 KiB | Viewed 1801 times ]
rocker 007.jpg
rocker 007.jpg [ 469.2 KiB | Viewed 1801 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:05 am 

Thanks Bill, Yes it is a little long and from some photographs that I have seen still a little too high!

I measured my Frame at certain points and then measured a photo of one of the Museum bikes....The photo was exactly ten times smaller than my frame, so assuming my frame (A Thersby Frame) is spot on for frame measurements I then measured the photo at varous points around the seat unit, all measurements bar one, matched my seat unit... An ORSP unit! however the seat just didnt look right! so cut and shut... and another cut and shut required again methinks!

My Rocker linkage jobbie is modelled on this photo...not exact but near as!

In fact after posting this photo... you can see an F1 seat unit in the background...look how 'low' the seat hump is!

Attachments:
62573812pantah-div-155-jpg.jpg
62573812pantah-div-155-jpg.jpg [ 54.79 KiB | Viewed 1788 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 am 

Cut the seat down...yet again... this weekend, its now had more cosmetic surgery than Micheal Jackson, Its not perfect the back is maybe a little too square now, but unlike Jacko I know when to call it a day!

Also finally got the fairing to fit. I had split the bottom fairing into two, but it was a real pain lining them up so I 'glued it back together, made an appropriate cut-out for the exhaust and an aerodynamic blister where the LHS Engine casing fouled the fairing.

There's now a heck of a lot of filling sanding and smoothing down to do, but I will probably farm that out to someone else to do! I dont have the patience for that sort of stuff!

Attachments:
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG [ 3.33 MiB | Viewed 1751 times ]
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG [ 2.95 MiB | Viewed 1751 times ]
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG [ 3.36 MiB | Viewed 1751 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:55 pm 

Looking good there Geo !

Keep it up, and yeah, fibreglassing is probably one of the worse jobs on a bike...I hate it !

Top job :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:34 am 

Hi George,

Have you looked at this crowd for seats http://www.raggededgeracing.com/41.html
I am sure Spike said he had Roy Thearsby's old moulds and the seat looks lower than the one you have.

Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Profile Personal album