DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Palmer / Munro F1 Hot-Rod Build-Off
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 pm 

Steve,
I also have to build the motor. The rear wheel on your bike is a Marchesini that I purchased new in November 2001. I know the sprockets are five bolt but if I remember correctly some of the sprockets I got I had to bore out the center to fit the carrier. That carrier is magnesium also.
Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:30 pm 

Steve,

Your bikes looking good. I always seem to have an issue with the tail-piece wearing the paint or powder coating off the frame, do you have any tricks to keep the frame looking good or is it just the paint and powder coating that I have used aren't that good?

I should have the frame completely modified and welded this week and have to start thinking about color combinations.

I did order a Shoral lithium battery for the project and I'm trying to come up with an electrical instrutment package (tach and speedometer). Anybody have any suggestion?

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:16 pm 

Hi Gary, I too am trying to find a nice tach/speedo combo. What do you think of the Motogadget stuff on the Motocicliveloci.it web site? Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 pm 

Very nice!!!

Gary, give us an overview of your basic recipe if you have time when you really should be wrenching, I guess. That swingarm is brilliant, did you change the pivot much?

Steve, paint looks stunning from here, the package is starting to look comprehensive like the parts want to belong. I've forgotten what fork you're using but the front guard looks right. Will you set up both an unsilenced megga and a dB friendly version appropriate for tracks like Calabogie?

Thank you for the tour,

Fran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm 

Lou,

Thanks for the information on the Motogadget, I ended up ordering one of the Motoscope Light Series (tach/speedometer) from Spiegler Performance Parts out of Ohio. The Classic look very cool but I liked the Motoscopes more simple design. They had to get it from Germany so it will be a few weeks. I got the Shoral battery and it is nice.

Fran,

The swingarm is a 851 in late model cases so the pivot wasn't move. This bike has the exact same geometry and suspension as the yellow bike had. Forks are Honda F4 Showa cartridge forks. The bike is going be a barely street legal track bike. I'll have two different engine combinations for it, one street and one track. Why, because the street engine is already put together and will run on pump gas. (Late model 750, small valves, ported heads, 800 cams, 800 rods, 800 wet slipper clutch, 6-speed and only 11 to 1 compression. The track motor will have high compression and have to have race gas and I may end-up racing this bike in CCS Series some. The motors are easy to change. Pictures when the start going back together.

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:58 pm 

Palmer wrote:
Steve,

Your bikes looking good. I always seem to have an issue with the tail-piece wearing the paint or powder coating off the frame, do you have any tricks to keep the frame looking good or is it just the paint and powder coating that I have used aren't that good?

I should have the frame completely modified and welded this week and have to start thinking about color combinations.

I did order a Shoral lithium battery for the project and I'm trying to come up with an electrical instrutment package (tach and speedometer). Anybody have any suggestion?

Palmer

My vote is for the Santa Monica livery just 'cause you don't see it very often. I regret not doing the Yellow Bike in that color combo 'cause I think it would have really worked out well. I generally have used urethane-based paint on the frame and thin strips of inner tube glued on the frame at the contact points. I went for powder this time just 'cause the price was right. I brought my old F1 back from Toronto this weekend so I could mount a belly pan for Paul and finally got a chance to measure the wheelbase on both bikes - your old one is .5" shorter. I've also got Bar's TT1 at the shop and it's a full 2" shorter than my old F1. I haven't weighed Bar's TT1 yet and likely won't 'cause it would just be too depressing. I'm guessing it's 25 - 30lbs less than your old one..

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:27 am 

[/quote]
I brought my old F1 back from Toronto this weekend so I could mount a belly pan for Paul and finally got a chance to measure the wheelbase on both bikes - your old one is .5" shorter. I've also got Bar's TT1 at the shop and it's a full 2" shorter than my old F1. I haven't weighed Bar's TT1 yet and likely won't 'cause it would just be too depressing. I'm guessing it's 25 - 30lbs less than your old one..[/quote]

Hoi Steve,
Can you explane this wheelbase measurement into more detail to me? .5" shorter is a not lot of difference?
What kind of wheelbase are we talking about for which bike? Also where are the differences, shorter swingarm? I was under the impression that the swingarm of a 851 was about 2 inches longer? Engine closer to the frontwheel? We are also very interrested in the weight of these bikes ;)

Groet Remco

Sorry, misstake taken out. We europeans just have a dificult time understandig inches, next will read your text better, before i open my mouth. :lol:

Last edited by littlemono82 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:47 am 

I think it's .5" (half an inch)

I would also like to know the rear axle to swingarm pivot, and the front axle to swingarm pivot measurement on various bikes.
And what is the frame on your bike Steve, Gary's old bike.

Graeme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:02 am 

Can you explane this wheelbase measurement into more detail to me? .5" shorter is a not lot of difference?
What kind of wheelbase are we talking about for which bike? Also where are the differences, shorter swingarm? I was under the impression that the swingarm of a 851 was about 2 inches longer? Engine closer to the frontwheel? We are also very interrested in the weight of these bikes ;) [/quote]

My old F1 (the 853) has a stock frame, but an aggressive chassis attitude and the rear axle running up at the very front of the adjustment. It'd very stable and turns well - but begins to lose front end feel when my knee is on the ground and the bike starts to drift. Gary's old F1 (the Yellow Bike) has had the steering stem pulled in (I can't recall by how much at the moment) and has been converted to rising rate. When I rode the bike at Grattan, I was amazed by how precise the front end feel was. Even by pulling the steering stem in only a few degrees, you make a significant reduction wheelbase. So in effect, the front axle moved back a few inches (steering head angle) and the rear axle went back almost the same amount (longer swing arm) - meaning that the crankshaft (center of weight) moved forward a few inches.

Bar's TT1 has a Daspa frame (we think) and the distance between the front upper frame cross member and the steering head is over an inch shorter than the F1 (almost a half an inch) shorter than Fran's Verlicchi TT1 frame. Of all the TTs I've measured, this is the shortest. The triple clamp offset is very small as well and the result is that the bike has extremely sharp turning, but at 100mph - it becomes very difficult to turn.

I'll be in the shop this weekend and will take some measurements (in metric) and post them.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:14 pm 

Well, with the recent technical issues on the forum some of the dialogue and pics are missing, but after talking to Gary last week - it seems that we've both hit the "complete" stage at roughly the same time. All I have left is to set sag and adjust rebound/compression and then do a couple of dyno runs to make sure the dry clutch remains dry. Mosport: 21 days and counting...

I took the Yellow Bike outside for the first time today and snapped a few pics outside the loudbike World Headquarters..

As a side note, these images are full-size, 2mb files added using the "Upload Attachment" function..

Attachments:
Front.JPG
Front.JPG [ 2.99 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
RSF.JPG
RSF.JPG [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
RSC.JPG
RSC.JPG [ 3.09 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
RC.JPG
RC.JPG [ 2.96 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
LSR2.JPG
LSR2.JPG [ 2.86 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
Dash.JPG
Dash.JPG [ 2.95 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
LSC.JPG
LSC.JPG [ 2.91 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
LSF.JPG
LSF.JPG [ 2.98 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
LS.JPG
LS.JPG [ 2.95 MiB | Viewed 1115 times ]

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next