DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1986 F1 Ignition Help and Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:50 am 

The original filters for F1's and were made by Malossi (with the exception of early F1's, Montjuich/ Laguna Seca/Santa Monica (No Filters at all) and 1988 USA F1s (K&N filters).

Here is an original Malossi filter for a bike with 40mm carbs:
https://www.tlm.nl/magazijn/webshop/los ... tails/7049

Malossi is still in business and sells the same filter, except it now has red foam and a chrome cap stuck on the end:

http://www.thunderbikes.com.au/parts-a- ... gory_id=12

You can order them direct from Malossi's web store:

http://www.malossistore.be/Famiglia2.aspx?FG=FILTR

Malossi's USA website:
http://www.malossiusaonline.com/

Regards,
Brian Brown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:53 am 

Henry,

DNA make some, they are like K&N but have a black rubber end instead of chrome.
I don't know where you are but in Australia Serco are the agents.
I can find the part number for you if you need.

Graeme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:28 am 

Gowanloch's in Aussie have an exchange service at $220AU http://www.ducati-gowanloch.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=11

Evidently not too hard to rewire, if you know what you are doing...

Got 1/4 hr of good running out of my freshly restored F1 today before the pickups started to fail... Should have done them while bike was apart.

Have heard it suggested that going over to synthetic oil accelerates the degradation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:27 am 

I have replaced the damaged wiring on a few bikes with the Bosch pickups, an easy enough job to do if you are handy with a soldering iron and just want to replace the wiring as close to the pickup as possible.

The problem with this is that the cable insulation is mostly always damaged as they exit the pickups, so the ideal repair would be to cut open the pickup (where the cables exit) and replace the whole cable. Then seal it up with JB Weld or some other oil and temp resistant sealant.

I am presuming that's what they do at Gowanlochs but am too tight to hand over the cash to find out :)

So, has anybody repaired their pickups this way, and if so, how delicate an operation is it?

Cheers

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:41 pm 

Yes done that on my son's Pantah. It's not too hard, just takes time. The pickups can come loose in the metal "horns" so is worth re gluing them at the same time. In my opinion there are better ignitions around that are not 30 years old. Sasches is one. Graeme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:18 am 

Having finally pulled the Bosch pickups out of my F1 to rewire them some months after they failed (too many projects not enough time) I have a few questions if anyone is able to help.

Firstly prior to pulling them off I checked the gaps, one was at 0.15 & the other at 0.40 when both should be ~0.55 according to the manual. Is this a sure sign the poles are migrating out, or just 'monday morning' assembly at the factory? The poles don't appear to be loose, but I was planning to shave a little of the housing out around each of them & JB Weld them in to be sure.

Second question is regarding the connection of each cable pair back at the loom, is the polarity of the signal critical or just getting each pair connected to the right loom pair?

Third question is can Kokusan pickups be used as a straight swap for Bosch ones? I.e do they work with the Bosch ign boxes, & do Kokusan F1's run the same flywheel as Bosch F1's?

Pulling the units out is a good reminder that if your Bosch ign bike is still running original wiring then its overdue to be replaced. My bike is pretty low km's yet all the pickup end cable sheathing came straight off, as did the first 3 inches of the loom end sheathing. They had been reading OK at 220 ohms at the plug in situ, but the leads for the failed cylinder were shorted out as soon as they were disturbed with removal.

Note also according to both the factory manual & the Falloon book my engine # is well into the series that should be running Kokusan system.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:18 pm 

Hello Friends, I happened many times with my work, the problem of finding the wrong engine and makes regular outbursts every now and then. I have found almost always the same problem, namely the wires carrying the signal to pik up, have deteriorated and unload their current story. I cut where the copper is good, I put the heat shrink, the remainder the exact length of the wire again, to 99.9 percent and the problem is solved. I use the electric wire of iron, since it has the silicone protection. I just wanted to say my opinion, I see a lot of friends who are very competent.

Ciao dall'Italia Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:18 pm 

Andrew, the polarity is important.
As Carlo said the wiring is the most common fault, (being boiled in oil )
The only way I found to set the gap is with a strobe light to see the advance.
If you can replace the old ignition with a modern one. My opinion only.
Graeme

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:22 am 

I quite agree. ;)

carlo

Profile Personal album