DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternatives to the Bosch Pick-Ups
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:33 pm 

I got the good wire from Steve at Bevelheaven, and I even bought a second set of Bosch Pick-ups, but I am still having trouble making a good clean joint where the new wires connect to the old Bosch units. It is especially difficult with the lower pick-up. I have found it just about impossible to make a connection and insulate it with some epoxy and still clear the lower bolt which attaches the left side cover to the engine. I have even ground down the case to try to get some clearance, but I don't think I have it yet....So, what are the options? In an earlier post a guy asked about Kokusan pick-ups. Can I use them???

Next, I am curious about alternative pick-up and/or complete systems. The microclassic seems a little bit pricey and obtrusive. I would not want to alter the look of the engine to that extent. Do any of you guys have suggestions about either pick-ups or complete systems???

Thanks in advance

Miguel (Mike)

Post subject: Re: Alternatives to the Bosch Pick-Ups
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:28 pm 

Look at Sachse ignitions on the web, a few mates use them with great success

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:17 am 

I just did mine last night. Made a good solder joint to the pickup wire about 1/2" out from the pickup, oil resistant shrink wrapped the cable end right in to the pickup & then pulled the cable to the side at close to 90 degrees to the pickup while the shrink wrap was still warm & soft. Then do same for other wire running alongside the first, making sure the cable where it exits the pickups stays well separated. Then I set the whole area in a generous amount of JB Weld, & was still plenty of room when the alt cover went back on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:02 pm 

Thanks Andrew....you've inspired me to try again...I have two complete sets of dirty, nasty pick-ups...so I'll see if I can do a better job. BTW, I found a guy who appears to be selling new or similar replacement pick-ups for the bevelhead crowd. They are not the usual re-built old pick-ups. He appears to be selling them along with a mounting plate for the old bevels, I've asked if they are the same as the pick-ups for out F1's....they appear to be. I'll post the results of my inquiry.

Thanks again...

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:26 pm 

To answer my own question, I found the website copies below which appears to offer replacement pick-ups (new) at reasonable prices. I will keep you guys up-dated. Thanks again for the imput.

Mike

http://www.ducati-kaemna.com/cms_en/katalog_auswahl.htm