It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another F1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:53 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: At 'Seldom Seen' in the Victorian high country Dec 2010
Buchan_343.jpg
Buchan_343.jpg [ 659.78 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]

Hi all... I have had my F1 since '97. Had 40,000 kms on it then, 10,600 kms now.

Never missed a beat except for an ignition miss when I used to take it on track days at Phillip Island (since retired from that, I have a 74r for that job now). I gave it a cosmetic rebuild in 2000 as well as a new set of rings. Finding a cracked swing-arm, it turned out to be a worthwhile exercise.

I still ride it. I love doing overnight rides as on day one, I sometimes struggle to get in sync with the F1. Day two I feel like Iam in familiar teritory and it all comes together. It is a bit different to modern riding styles; my normal road ride is a 2002 ST2.

During the 'rebuild' Aussie tuner Bob Brown was helping me and he suggested a new exhaust. The headers are 1/4 inch bigger. The new pipe was built with 'seat of pants feel' by the guy that built Bob's systems in the 1980s for Kevin Magee. It wouldn't rev. Bob remodelled the carb slides to similar shape as a Darmah. Rejetted it was all good. Unusually for an F1, it pulls really strongly from 3000 rpm. Great bike to ride in the hills on an every day ride. It's nowhere near as highly stung as most F1s.

Bob always said 'horse power is not everything, if its easy to ride you can ride it faster'. It works for me!
Attachment:
File comment: At Buchan before teh ride to Seldom Seen
Dec 5 008.jpg
Dec 5 008.jpg [ 650.96 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: And with one of the F1s closest friends... a Mille/Darhma called Brutus.
Dec 5 022.jpg
Dec 5 022.jpg [ 830.4 KiB | Viewed 2511 times ]

Post subject: Re: Another F1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 pm 

Hi Frewy

Very nice pics! I was at those spots only last week.......unfortunately in a 4X4 as I had the kids in tow.

Can you please let me know who you got to make your exhaust.......I am building a TT1 bike and am looking for someone in the Melbourne area that knows what he's doing.

Joe

Post subject: Re: Another F1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 pm 

Joe

It was done by a guy called Neville Sharp. Used to be with megacycle, but went out 12 or so years ago into Moorabbin Motorcycle engineering... since gave that up and now plays wih boats!

I have a 250 single that I started the process of finding someone new to do a system for me. I was directed to Black Mamba racing in Dandenong. They do race car pipes, but I was told they would do anything unusual. I got to busy to follow through and still have it on my to-do-list.

http://www.blackmambaracing.com.au/bikes.htm

I just looked at their site... seems they do bikes.... not just 'will do'.

They certainly do top level pipes in V* race cars at the top level.

I know tehre are others... I will se a mate over the weekend at the Island Classic and ask who did his on a custom 900ss. It was nice too.

If you go to the Island Classic there are bound to be people there with pipes just like what you want and they will know where they came from.

For a final option... F1 Engineering in UnZud.... they do nice work and the exchage rate is OK to New Zealand.

Steve