DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can CLUTCH PULL be IMPROVED?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:40 pm 

Since I have the clutch apart on the '86 F1, occurs to me this is a good time to upgrade the hydraulic line. I still have the original black rubber line. Wondering if a modern braided/teflon line would dramatically improve the clutch pull? Supplier suggestions?
Any one looked into the master cylinder ratio?
Anyone else ride their F1 all day and return home with arm cramps? Maybe I'm just a wimp.
Jim in KC

Post subject: Re: Can CLUTCH PULL be IMPROVED?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:30 am 

Hello Tim, I will give my humble opinion.
I do the Italian Endurance Championship with Ducati TT1, I use a steel bar mounted on two bearings, I hung a piece of metal with a wire and screwed with your wrists back and forth, until your arms will fall on the ground!

Train yourself just a little 'and everything will go fine.

I had the honor to race with endurance Laverda SFC Augustus Britons, and I can assure you that the Laverda SFC has a clutch very very very very HARD!

Experience beautiful, but cramps in my arms! :lol: :lol:
I forgot, we won the race!
Ciao Carlo Leoncini.

Attachments:
Immagine 101.jpg
Immagine 101.jpg [ 2.74 MiB | Viewed 1632 times ]
IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg [ 96.33 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]
Adria09_2936.jpg
Adria09_2936.jpg [ 4.99 MiB | Viewed 1632 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:40 pm 

Are the letters still on the side of the tire?

Jarno

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 pm 

Jim, The line won't make a dramatic difference but it can improve the feel some.As for the master cyl. a smaller dia. piston will reduce effort at the expense of increased travel,you may run into a problem with the clutch not fully disengaging. I know the later Ducatis use a 13mm cyl. and the clutches aren't that heavy.I don't know what the F1 came with originally but it might be larger dia. than 13mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 am 

The early F1's used a 31mm diameter clutch slave cylinder piston. This was used with the round reservoir clutch master cylinder that has a 15mm piston. Later Pantahs (Laguna Seca, Santa Monica, 750 Sport) used a 26mm or 27mm diameter clutch slave piston and a rectangular reservoir clutch master with a 13mm piston diameter.

My '86 F1 had the 31/15mm set-up originally, and while the clutch pull was stiff, it worked ok. When the second owner of the bike replaced the original sintered bronze clutch plates with new organic plates, he had a major problem with clutch chatter leaving stops. The shop that worked on the bike tried a Barnett clutch pack, braided hose, and later clutch cover with 27/13mm master cylinder, but the chatter continued.

I bought the bike back from him, and noticed that the clutch pull was reduced from the original 31/15mm setup and the stainless hose provided a more positive action. I checked all the clutch plates for flatness: OK. Checked clutch spring heights and pressures: OK. Finally on another mechanics advice, I installed a clutch steel plate that was conical instead of flat. Voila! Chatter problem solved, I think that it was listed as being from a 996RS racebike, but the local dealer had one in stock.

Now the clutch is great, easy to pull, positive engagement, so slippage or chatter. The overall stack height is crucial. Check the clutch friction and steel thicknesses, as some are thicker than others. This can lead to the clutch not disengaging.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:09 am 

Excuse me, friends, maybe I did not understand the question.

I have put photos of Laverda because the clutch is harder by far that I've ever used.

I'm sorry I did not want to make the protagonist.

Ciao Amici. Carlo. :oops:

Profile Personal album