DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The new F1 Project
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:35 pm 

Well,, as most of you know Steve now has the yellow race F1 and it's time to start a new project. Since I wasn't able to sell the street F1 that's the new project. Steve may have bought the race bike but I havejust spares of just about everything. The new bike won't be quite as radical but I plan to use the 10 years of development knowledge on the race bike to build a pretty slick street/track bike. Here is the basic outline of what I have figured out or am thinking so far:

-Honda F4i forks valved and setup exactly like the race bike with the same Ducati Sport triple clamps
-The frame has already been modified for the steering head to match the race bike.
-I'm going with cantilever rear suspension this time as rising rate is out of vogue. Right now I have a 900 ss swingarm but I also have a nice 851 swingarm that I would like to graft on the 900 ss shock mount bridge. Time will tell.
-Ride height adjustable Ohlins shock.
-An 840cc motor with Mike Rich Motorsport Cyinder heads (42.5mm intakes and 36.5mm exhaust) and 41mm Mikuni carbs. Not sure on the cams, as I have 5 grinds to try. The motor will us late model cases and is modified for a dry clutch (oiling system). Not sure whether I'll use the 5 speed or 6 speed setup, for racing the 5 speed alway had faster lap times were on the street the 6 speed was nice for the close spacing between 5th and 6th. It will probably have the slipper clutch.
-I do have one of Sparker TCI-P4 ignition units to play with too.
-Of course, a composite fuel tank and seat.
-Wheels, I'm not sure if I'll put the magnesiums wheels or the Performance Machine wheels on it.

Well that's the general project so far, but of course, thing may change as it progresses. Anybody got any ideas on color combinations? I'm thinking stock red, white, and green but always open for ideas.

Palmer

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: The new F1 Project
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:49 pm 

Hello Gary. Glad to be able to watch this (I hope). Any chance you could post one or two "before" photos of the F1 you will start with. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:36 pm 

Kind of like a "build-off", eh Gary? I'd suggest you consider the Santa Monica scheme.. Not many people have done it and I got a picture and video from Andre Vandeput back in '04 of his Santa-based hot-rod F1 out of Belgium. Looked very cool.

Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY4FNlqGFiE.

I'm learning a lot of new stuff as I go through Gary's old racer and finding it tough staying within my one pound weight gain limit as I civilize the machine.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 am 

I like the blue and red TTF1/2 paint work that i in the photo album.

If I could get the page to load up more than half a photo at a time I would be laughing. Hopefully I just cracked it.

I bought barn fresh Laguna Seca that came minus a few bits including the swingarm. I like the original F1 swingarm that is in it. Forks are 900SS that are just waiting on adaptors for 65mm hole spacing Brembos.
Weekend was spent productively fitting bungs to the swingarm for the rear paddock stand spools.
Carbs are dellorto PHM and finally I will use 2-1 race pipe. Rear wheel is from popular japanese 650 twin :o

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:46 pm 

Palmer wrote:
Here is the basic outline of what I have figured out or am thinking so far:

-Honda F4i forks valved and setup exactly like the race bike with the same Ducati Sport triple clamps..................
Palmer

Can you maybe translate "Honda F4i" into english-as-we-know-it....................? I DO note that both bikes competing in the Munro/Palmer love-in seem to have Honda-esque forks, but we inquisitve folks are breathing heavy to discover WHAT forks exactly............... Reason for my inquisitiveness is that for MY project, I am also using Honda forcelle, in my case "tuned and tweaked" NC30 items from eBay-UK...........so please, tell me MORE about these F4i forks of yours...............!!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:26 pm 

Hi Poison,
Honda F4i forks are conventional cartridge forks that are 43mm in diameter and 30 inches in length. Some of the newer upside down forks tend to be a little on the short side for Ducati F1 chassis setup.
Palmer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:48 pm 

Poison wrote:
Palmer wrote:
Here is the basic outline of what I have figured out or am thinking so far:

-Honda F4i forks valved and setup exactly like the race bike with the same Ducati Sport triple clamps..................
Palmer

Can you maybe translate "Honda F4i" into english-as-we-know-it..........so please, tell me MORE about these F4i forks of yours...............!!!

CBR600F4i, produced from 2001 to 2006.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:44 am 

will you be wanting titanium axles?

Attachments:
IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg [ 130.24 KiB | Viewed 2213 times ]