DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ducati F2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:44 pm 

Does any one know how many F2's were made by the factory? I've seen 3 in Australia, and maybe they were the same bike? Graeme

Post subject: Re: Ducati F2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:01 am 

H Graeme,

Ducati produced about 40 TT2, I can remember seeing them lined up in the dispatch department. they produced very few TT 1, in single figures, ( the low end)

Post subject: Re: Ducati F2 - Is it a kit bike?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:24 am 

Hi Pat,
'No doubt you are correct regarding the number of TT2 and TT1 that Ducati produced. Did Ducati ever produce a model called the "F2" as pictured, - a street version (with lights and blinkers) of the TT2? It would be interesting to learn if there was such a Factory produced model as I have never seen any mention of it before. Else, I would think this F2 is a Kit Bike - a Pantah engine in a Harris frame or similar?

Cheers,
Mike
Sydney

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:41 pm 

The first F2 I saw was in Frasers shop window in Brisbane, Frasers were the Ducati importer back then. It had a price of just over $10,000. The others I saw were the one above, (the one in Frasers window was still there) were the one in the picture at Lakeside and about 2 years ago one on eBay in Melbourne. Graeme

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 am 

I do not think that Ducati ever produced a road legal F2. I do remember a guy in Germany converting one for road use. A lot of people produced "copy's" using self made frames. I believe that Roy Thersby was the first to do it, and then people like Harris copied it. Please do not forget,....if it does not have a Verlichi frame it is NOT a true TT 2.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:12 am 

I have asked Ian Gowanloch about the F2 and if he knew its origin, his reply,,,,

hi Graeme,
The factory supplied 7 TT2s to the Australian market, 2 of the first model with the 18" front wheel and 36mm carbs and 5 of the second type with the 16" wheel and 41mm carbs.
I imported 70 frames along with much of the running gear to assemble them. Although there is nothing about the bike pictured that would lead me to conclude it is one of mine, I think it unlikely that anybody would have put lights on a genuine racer.
regards
Ian

I then asked what frames he imported,,,,

hi Graeme,
There were 55 Verlicchi frames and 15 from a company called Icomek. The Icomek frames were not as well put together as the Verlicchis but were faster around a track; steeper at the front and longer at the back. A lot of the frames ended up with the correct forks, shocks, wheels and brakes so were quite hard to pick as not being Bolognese.
regards
Ian

And then asked if it was OK to post his answer,,,,

hi Graeme,
If it was a secret I wouldn't have told you. That sort of thing probably needs to get around so that people know how many are out there and act accordingly, particularly if considering digging deep to buy a supposedly genuine article.
regards
Ian

Some interesting information, but still no closer to the origin of the F2.

I have also asked Bill McDonald who owned the shop where I saw the F2 in the window, no answer yet,,,,.

Graeme

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:43 pm 

very interesting!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:19 pm 

Rutters F2 had a Daspa frame !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:25 pm 

Hello Pat, was the Daspa before or after Harris? Regards Graeme

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:29 am 

Hi Graeme,

Ducati supplied us with the TT 2 Daspa frame in the winter of 1982, if my memory serves me correctly. Harris copied the Verlichi TT 2 frame later on. I am sorry that I can not be more precise about the date as the majority of my TT1 & 2 records, reports and photographs "disappeared". Livio Lodio the curator of the Ducati museum in Bologna told me a years or so ago that they ( Ducati) had also lost a lot of their records appertaining to the TT1 & 2.