DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pantah head on a Supersport?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:51 am 

Is it possible to install a Pantah rear cylinder-head onto the rear cylinder of an '89 or later 750 Supersport?

E.g. - for the purpose of making both Heads on a later spec. engine face forward.

Cheers,

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Pantah head on a Supersport?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:46 am 

Yes, I used a 650 Cagiva head on a '95 750 SS

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:05 pm 

Bolt pattern is the same. But you will need to have the combustion chamber machined out to the 100mm diameter of the 88mm cylinders, and may have to fiddle with the oil passage thingy and the locating posts.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:32 pm 

Hey Graeme, that is so coool! Did you do the modification yourself?

My '85 F1 has been a basket case since it was submerged in the '94 Benalla floods. I have been considering my options - rebuild a dismantled motor that has been rusting away for the past 17 years - or - slot in a "newer" engine and take advantage of the improvements!

Cheers,

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:33 am 

Any of the carb'd 750 motors are the easiest to use, but you will have to sort the different swingarm width and pin size. I've seen it done on a Pantah. I used the '95 swingarm with the '95 engine which made it easier, but then the swingarm is longer than the F1's and the shock had to be longer. The F1 heads and domed pistons should be ok in a later engine, but you should cc and measure to be sure. I had the rear 650 head welded up and machined to "bathtub" shape to match the front SS head shape, also the plug hole welded up and threaded to the smaller 10mm of the modern size. Lots more but that's the 2 big issues. Graeme

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:30 pm 

A concern when doing the coversion is internal oil supply to the heads. The older motors with air cooled fins (up to1988) had an oil restictor just above the oil filter in the passage up to the heads. Next time you change oil and have the filter off take a look up the center adapter and youll see it. 1989 on and the oil cooled cylinders came along. This restictor dowel was omitted and a restrictor style dowel was installed between the head and barrrel. When fitting a later lower to an earlier upper that has to be taken into account ie oil cooler or air cooled. This can all be bypassed by external feed lines to each head with each receiving a 1.25mm restrictor at the cam block. The oil style barrels wont work this way as they are fed from the internal supply passage. How did you handle the oil restriction on your combination as I dont see external lines? Do the later air cooled barrel style lower cases have that one restictor above the oil cooler?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 am 

Hello CR, I wasn't aware of this. I'm traveling for a few days, but when I get home next week I'll have a look. The '95 heads from the oil cooled cylinders did have small hole dowels similar to a bevel. I assume this engine having oil cooled cylinders there won't be a restrictor in the oil filter centre? Are you saying that without a restrictor between head and cylinder the oil pressure will be lower than it should be, with too much oil traveling freely to each head? Graeme. (edit) Just read your post again and I can see the problem using oil cooled cylinders on a pre 89 engine that has a restrictor in the oil filter not allowing enough oil to cool the cylinders. Do I understand your concern correctly?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:19 am 

Hi Graeme I believe your combination is fine. It has all the matching components of the lower with oil cooled barrels so the only thing you added are the heads. The concern/warning was more toward what I see others doing and that is the adding of old style heads and barrels(air cooled) to the newer lower ends. Understand that these oil systems are different! External oil lines to the heads eliminate most of this but there is a slight concern even with that. External oil lines run from the cold end of the cooler is unfiltered oil! I think its only a problem on a race bikes that has the potential to go "bang" so I run a small inline catch filter just in case. ...CRanky

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:44 am 

Good information, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:15 am 

Hi Graeme, thats all nice work and Im just wondering about the pipe you have fitted. did you make it yourself?

Sean