DUCATI TT and F1 FORUM

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ozzie Ducati TT2 Racebike Build
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:28 am 

Thanks for the compliments Lee. It's a bit of a lottery buying bits from all over the world for a project like this. Its always fingers crossed that the stuff is good quality when it turns up as I have been bitten a few times myself in the past.
This is why I am trying to raise the bar a few notches and improve the parts that have been difficult to find in the past such as the mag forks and dry clutch.

Keep up the good work,
Glyn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:47 am 

Hi Glyn, it is a 'lottery', and as with the lottery, winners are few. We appreciate your efforts on the quality of your parts. I've only purchased a front fender from you, but found the quality to be excellent and priced fairly. Keep up the good work as well. Best Regards, Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:47 pm 

I quite agree with my friend Lou, I am very proud to have you as my replacement parts, you're doing a great job, meticulous attention to detail.

I should shut up, because I have my parts on that bike, but I can not resist talking about, I must say that it is a beautiful motorcycle.

Please do be quiet these ITALIANS. :lol: :lol:

Italian Tuscany Carlo.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:35 am 

Wow Carlo, I am blushing here.

Here is a short story.
I have always avoided making Ducati's my work and kept it as a big hobby running alongside my precision engineering business for thirty years or so. However, as I am sure you all know by now, we are packing up now and going to live in New Zealand in seven weeks time. Five 40ft containers full of cnc machinery, bikes and Ducati parts. Scary stuff.

A couple of years ago I made some parts that I could not find (forks and dry clutch) to re-build a couple of TT2's I had recently bought. I had the thought of making a small range of parts. Then Steve suggested I carried on where he left off after he retired with Sports Motorcycles. A great honour and a fabulous opportunity but an equal burden of responsibility.
Having never being shy of a challenge, this is clearly the way forward. Maybe I should have done it all full time some thirty years ago.
We will be living in the same town as Steve so the idea is to wake him up and get amongst it to some degree.

Sorry about that Lee, I didn't mean to go on, but I thought maybe everyone should know where I appeared from.

Its your page.

Glyn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:18 am 

lol.. No worries, Glyn.
I think it's pretty exciting to have Sports Motorcycles back again, and coming "Down Under" well sort of... ;)
I really wish you all the very best and I hope to have my bike at Phillip Island for the 2013 Island Classic, If not race ready then at least to show off some of your parts. :D

Lee.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:40 am 

The plan is that the containers plus myself together with my wife Les will be leaving at much the same time towards the end of September. However, we hold the advantage of a flight rather than a voyage. I will (should) see the containers again in NZ some eight weeks later in late November in Aukland docks.

We have nowhere to live or anywhere to work from in NZ at the moment.

The idea is that we will arrive seven weeks before the stuff makes it ashore and so will hopefully buy a house and premises whilst its all still wobbling around at sea. Steve is putting a great deal of effort in looking for a house, etc, on our behalf over the other side. I am certain things will never go according to plan, but will work out fine in the end.

I clearly hope things work out quickly enough to allow an entry for Phillip Island, and the Pukekohe meeting a few weeks after.

Sounds simple enough !!

With a bit of luck and a following wind I should see you at Phillip Island.

Glyn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 am 

Hi Lee,
good to see you've decided to make your track bike a replica racer. I also see you've purchased some of Glyn's products!! Gee, I'm waiting for him to set up shop in NZ so I can do some local shopping too! So glad he's bringing all his stuff with him.
Good luck Lee with your project and keep us informed.
It's always a gamble when piecing different parts together made from many skilled craftsman.
It's all part of the Ducati mystique....
Cheers,
Steve

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:56 am 

OK, Time for another update.
I've been super busy with work and my new house so my poor little TT2 has taken a back seat for a while, but I'm back onto it now.
First off, Pantah600, yes, building a bike up to period specification is a lot harder at times than just building a racebike, and it's all too easy to fall into the trap of trying to go into so much detail that it never gets finished, so I'm doing my best to keep pushing on and get the bike finished even if it's not 100% genuine it'll be close.

Alright then, a big shout out the Steve at Loudbike for putting me onto Jif cream cleaner, it's brilliant, just pour it on and use a toothbrush to scrub away all the grime, just rinse with water and BINGO!!! Super clean brake callipers and that great lemony smell.... Perfect.. :D

I've used Jif to clean my F05 calipers so I can mount them up and get all the measurements I need before I mount my magnesium Campagnolo wheels up.
I'll pull the Callipers apart and run a seal kit through them before final assembly, but they're clean enough to get some measurements from.

Anyway, here's a few pics, the first couple are a before and after just to show how bad the callipers were, but they're scrubbed up well, (Yeah, a bad joke I know).
OK, next stop is get the Campy wheels all sorted.

Ciao.
Lee.

Attachments:
File comment: Jif, my new friend.
20121006_172936compressed.jpg
20121006_172936compressed.jpg [ 203.43 KiB | Viewed 1499 times ]
20121006_172818compressed.jpg
20121006_172818compressed.jpg [ 206.51 KiB | Viewed 1499 times ]
20121006_172848compressed.jpg
20121006_172848compressed.jpg [ 187.16 KiB | Viewed 1499 times ]
20121006_175943compressed.jpg
20121006_175943compressed.jpg [ 145.94 KiB | Viewed 1499 times ]
20121006_180024compressed.jpg
20121006_180024compressed.jpg [ 165.55 KiB | Viewed 1499 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:45 am 

corsa wrote:
...building a bike up to period specification is a lot harder at times than just building a racebike...
In my neck of the woods, them's is fight'n words.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:18 am 

pantah_good wrote:
corsa wrote:
...building a bike up to period specification is a lot harder at times than just building a racebike...
In my neck of the woods, them's is fight'n words.
Bill
:lol:

Yeah, no offence mean't to anybody!! :)

Righto,
I have a few questions regarding parts that I need for my TT2 build and rather than start a new thread I thought it best to ask here.

What type of cable clutch perch and lever does a TT2 use? Is it still available? Is there something similar that can be used?

I need a front axle for the 35mm Magnesium forks, anybody have one lying around? Anybody make them?

Does anybody have a front fairing mount they can measure so I can make some up? If I can get all the measurements I'll make up a batch in case anybody else might need one.

Looking for a Brembo 15mm Goldline Front master cyl, (Long shot I know but I have to ask).

I also need a Rear cush hub carrier and rubbers, to suit the Mag Campagnolo wheels, but I'm pretty sure it's just a normal Pantah type, although if anybody knows different please chime in.

OK, that does it for now.
Cheers,
Lee.

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next