It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brembo calipers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:55 am 

I have a pair of Brembo P432A calipers
Attachment:
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 2485 times ]

I have conflicting info as to whether they are alloy or magnesium can anyone enlighten me please?
If they are magnesium what is the accepted proceedure for restoring them?

Post subject: Re: Brembo calipers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:42 am 

Hi Ducfan, if this is a picture of your actual caliper you have just finished the restoration. These calipers have a fairly non-uniform finish. They look like they need a restoration when they are NOS. The bigger problem is rebuild kits. The pistons are usually good, if not, you will have to modify the street p432 pistons to fit. These calipers only have piston seals not dust seals like the street version. The seals have not been availabe for a while but Cranky roller is working on getting them made very soon so we will have them and will post in the classified section when they are ready. I usually clean the brake dust with laquer thinner and Q-tip swabs. Steve Munro swears that VIM, a cleaner he has found is a miracle for brake dust. I haven't used it yet. The Brembo catalog said these are magnesium but Cranky Roller and the weight of these calipers makes me think they are alloy. Good luck. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:22 pm 

One more thing if you are a stickler for originality I think the bolts holding the caliper halves together should be black oxide, not gold cad. Lou

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:04 pm 

ducttf1 wrote:
Steve Munro swears that VIM, a cleaner he has found is a miracle for brake dust.

The stuff is indeed brilliant. I've taken seriously black calipers to NOS clean in less than 20 minutes with undiluted VIM, a scrub brush and a tooth brush. Rinse with hot water frequently to check progress and enjoy the lemon fresh scent. Good for any anodized surface (including aluminum swing arms) or any raw aluminum piece where you want a nice satin finish. VIM was originally a Lever Brothers brand, so if you can't find it locally as VIM, you might see it as Cif.

Attachments:
vim-cream-cleanser-lemon-scent_1259077207_LRG.jpg
vim-cream-cleanser-lemon-scent_1259077207_LRG.jpg [ 8.43 KiB | Viewed 2349 times ]
cif-cream-lemon-450x450_tcm13-290587.jpg
cif-cream-lemon-450x450_tcm13-290587.jpg [ 21.32 KiB | Viewed 2349 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:53 pm 

:lol: And... for our Australian counterparts....
Attachment:
Jiff.jpg
Jiff.jpg [ 73.82 KiB | Viewed 2282 times ]

I recall in Italy it's called Cillit BANG!
:lol: Gee, I remember the TV commercials.....

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:26 am 

Black oxide is correct for those screws. In the photo, an original screw is on the left, and a screw from the last of the available rebuild kits is on the right. The original has a longitudinal crossing knurl and some stamped lettering on the head, and the rebuild kit screw has a more plane longitudinal only knurl and no lettering.
Bill

Attachments:
008.JPG
008.JPG [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 2232 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:48 am 

Hey thanks Lou and all who replied I have been jiffing away but unfortunately the calipers still look a bit worse for wear. The photo I attached looks a lot better than the actual item, as for the seals put me down for 2 pairs any idea when the will be available?
Still not sure if they are mag or alloy I do tend to agree with Cranky Roller/Lou the weight seems a bit heavy to be mag and looking down all the holes it looks like they are anodized rather than???.... chromate/painted
Which brings me to my next question I'm in Australia do any of the OZ members know of an anodizer who will reanodize the cast Brembo master cylinders and calipers?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 am 

Ducfan,
I'm in Perth & spent a couple of weeks trying to find someone who would re-anodise my F1 master cylinders without any success. Everyone said it couldn't be done as they were cast aluminium & had too many impurities for the process (I dont know how the factory did them). The only options were to paint them or ceramic coat them (I went with the ceramics). I haven't picked them up yet, so I dont know how they will look, but the guy doing the job also has an F1 & was pretty confident that I'd be happy with the end result. They should be ready sometime next week & I'll post a couple of photo's when I pick them up for others to see.
Clinton

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 am 

Sounds like trying to get an exhaust pipe "re-black chromed"....

Nobody in the US seems to know how the Italians/Japanese did it... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:20 pm 

Since I was just ready to re-do a set of those calipers, I thought I'd try some Vim. Apparently Vim, a.k.a. Cif, Jif, Viss, Handy Andy, is not available in the U.S. Used a slurry of the two in the photo, which worked pretty good.
Bill

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 2103 times ]